March 5, 2008 1:53 PM

Cough cure: Vicks on feet - what's your experience?

Vicks%20vaporab_s.JPG

I first heard about this when Maddy had a cough a week before her competition and two of her teachers told her to rub Vicks on her feet before she went to bed. Did some research to find that this is all over the Internet and even Snopes doesn't know whether to judge it true or false.

But there is lots of anecdotal evidence from moms that it works:

I received an email recently about how doctor's found great results in reducing a child's night time cough by rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub on their feet, then putting the kid's socks on, and letting them go to bed. Now this email stated that not only were they getting good results, but the Vicks technique was working 100% of the time. Hmmmmmm, Time to test

I have a young child and now that we are entering the cold season I figured I would have the opportunity to test this method out. Well, the doctors were right. One night I woke hearing my child coughing steadily in his sleep. Remembering the email that I received a few days earlier I decided to give the Vicks a shot. I went into his room and started applying the Vicks. Now, my child is a very sound sleeper and will sleep through anything, so me applying the Vicks to his feet did not even begin to stir him from his deep slumber. I tell you this because the results were amazing. After I applied the Vicks, but before the socks were even on I noticed that his coughing subsided and his breathing was deeper. I wanted to think that this was due to the fact that I had woken him up and he was simply not coughing 'at that moment'. That wasn't the case. He had literally stopped coughing all together.

I went to bed that night and was questioned by my child during breakfast on how the socks arrived on his feet in the middle of the night... he didn't even know.

The skeptic that I am was amazed, but still thought that it was just luck. Needless to say a couple nights later my child was coughing after a long Halloween night. Immediately I went for the Vicks Vapor Rub. Again, the coughing stopped upon application. I can't believe how well this works, but I wanted to share it with other parents out there knowing that a good night's sleep is like gold!

by Trina at Alternative Medicines Direct

Anyone out there have any personal experience? If not, do you think you might try it sometime? We did and it seemed to work. But I was brought up on Vicks and returned to using it a couple years as my remedy-of-choice - at least on the chest. Now we're doing feet too!

Amazon has Vicks at a pretty good price, so if you're not in a hurry you can buy from them:

Posted in Practical Info | Permalink

Comments

Not tried it yet. I've been hearing it all over the place lately...the dreaded cold is making its way through our home, so I'll try it tonight I think.
Heard good things about it. I don't see why not, your feet are connected to all parts of your body, and the warmth of the socks on the Vicks makes the smell go all over I'd bet. And it's probably not as strong as putting it on their chest, my kids don't like it there, because it's so overpowering.
I'll come back and comment again tomorrow after I try it

Posted by: sandy | March 5, 2008 2:18 PM

I too was very skeptical of this, but YES IT DOES WORK!! I only wish I had known about it for the past 7 years, for my little guy that has had more coughing-all-night episodes than I can count. It does in fact work. I too was raised with my mom putting vicks on my chest and neck - she would then put a scarf around my neck, can't imagine that was the safest way to sleep :) I have used it on 3 of my 5 kids and on myself, with 100% success! When the kids have a deep cough during the daytime, I know it will be a rough night so we put it on their feet and a little on their chest and it works every time.

Posted by: Margaret | March 5, 2008 2:27 PM

I can't really see how it would be different from putting the Vicks on your chest, although maybe like PP said, it's just not as strong smelling and bothersome on the feet.

Posted by: Michelle Potter | March 5, 2008 3:06 PM

We have tried it with my daughter and one of my sons. Worked like a charm!! They were coughing like crazy when they went to bed. we put the vicks on their feet and within 5-10 minutes they stopped and we didn't hear them all night!!

A neighbor had been having a cough at night for over a week. She tried it on herself and said it worked great.

Posted by: mary | March 5, 2008 3:16 PM

Curious. I wonder if it's the Vicks (in a not-so-strong way), the Reflexology of rubbing the feet, or both. I wonder would it work as well with any lotion, just rub the feet. It would be an interesting experiment.

Posted by: SmockLady | March 5, 2008 6:51 PM

I haven't heard that idea with Vicks, but I HAVE heard about mashing garlic in olive oil and rubbing it on the feet for the same purpose.

We haven't had to try it, but my friend explained that putting it on the feet really improves the absorption.

Posted by: Nancy | March 5, 2008 7:32 PM

You know, I honestly can't tell you if it works or not because it's something I've done (or had done to me) all my life! I think it was originally great grandma's idea, if I remember correctly. I was always troubled with upper resp problems. I remember my mom rubbing vicks on my feet one night, telling me that this is what her grandma always did. Who knows, but it sure doesn't hurt anything.

Posted by: Amanda | March 5, 2008 9:08 PM

I don't know what the operating principle is here but it did help me over the holidays. I was also told to use cotton socks.

I didn't use Vicks but used Waktins Menthol-Camphor Ointment. Like I said, I was a skeptic but it definitely helped.

Posted by: christopher Gillespie | March 6, 2008 8:04 AM

from what i've read, when you rub something (vicks, olive oil/mashed garlic, etc.) on the soles of the feet, the healing properties enter the bloodstream much quicker than anywhere else. just make sure what you are applying is 'ok' to enter the bloodstream.

Posted by: deborah | March 6, 2008 9:25 AM

Yep - it works!

Posted by: Kristin | March 6, 2008 10:54 AM

I got that same e-mail about a year ago. Adam, my 5 year old, was sooooo sick, I was willing to try anything. I had a friend who was a reflexologist who said it would work.
IT DID!!
We now call them "magic socks"...the kids ASK for them when they're feeling ill....

Posted by: suzanne | March 6, 2008 5:02 PM

I cannot believe this worked. My daughter has been coughing all night. I rubbed Vicks on her chest, it did nothing. I remembered reading about Vicks on the feet a couple of months ago on a message board so I made her get up and put it on her feet. She stopped coughing almost immediately and it's been over an hour and she still hasn't coughed. I challenge anyone reading this to try it the next time your child has a bad cough. It won't hurt them...and in our case, it worked wonders!

Posted by: Heather | March 16, 2008 1:21 AM

Doing it right now and it worked within a few minutes & my kid isnt in bed, just in his high chair. That's a relief. Glad I know about it.

Posted by: eileen | March 16, 2008 10:18 PM

My daughter has severe Asthma, and takes a load of medications. She suffers from night time coughing as do a lot of kids with Asthma. During the cold and flu season (and allergy season) it is impossible for her to get any sleep. I tried the Vicks on the feet AND IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!! for the past 3 nights she has requested her special foot massage!
I dont know how it works but it does!

Posted by: Annie Sawyer~Missouri | March 16, 2008 11:57 PM

Mabuhay! From Philippines.

Yes it is true. We tried it a lot of times on our 5-year old son. It really, really works.

We also tried other liniments which has CAMPHOR & MENTHOL and still it does the work. ^_~

Posted by: bablih | April 3, 2008 1:32 PM

Vicks works for my kids too! I heard the reason it works on the feet so much is that all the cruddy stuff comes out your feet. Maybe the Vick's not only helps to sooth, but to draw the nasties out. Works great! Some people say to even put a little kosher salt on top of the vicks before you put socks on to have a greater effect.

Posted by: Cristi Randolph--Texas | July 17, 2008 5:51 PM

Works on infants, as well. I have used it on my kids of all ages and myself and my husband. Works every time. The effects seem to start wearing off in about five or six hours, but you can reapply the rub. I highly recommend using the socks over the rub. Less messy.

Posted by: Cassandra | October 15, 2008 3:01 PM

Oh well, I was quite skeptical about the whole Vicks VapoRub thing at first, but after two weeks of coughing like a mad dog, I finally decided to give it a shot and "Voilá" I had, finally, a good night of sleep and I'm feeling great today.

Posted by: Gelber | November 4, 2008 10:16 AM

Before I tell you how it worked, I want you to understand how bad Loren's cough has been. This am, he tried to nap but coughed about once a minute. He was never able to fall asleep, he just laid there moaning in between coughs. I know that we would both heal faster if we could just sleep.

Now, Loren is due to wake up any minute from his pm nap (1.5 hours is his usual). HE HAS NOT COUGHED ONCE!! Think about that! He has not coughed one time in an hour and a half.

I have never seen anything work so well in my life. This little test has been more satisfying than a nap after mid-day sex. Vick's can call me anytime to do an ad.

Here's the interesting part though: I laid down too while Loren was out, and I didn't cough either! Not once! I have been sleeping sitting up for 3 nights, because I cough as soon as I even think the word horizontal. It must have absorbed into my hands while rubbing it on his feet! That stuff is a miracle.

I am SO putting it on my feet when I go to bed tonight.

Posted by: Pam | November 14, 2008 5:24 PM

Pam what a funny comparison of how satisfying the use of vicks is. Cracked me up! I've been a believer in Vicks for over a year :)

Posted by: Margaret | November 15, 2008 11:56 AM

WOW. I've just tried this tonight ( I'm typing on my laptop in bed) I've got a heavy cold and lost my voice for two days. I can speak now, but I'm very croaky and have an annoying hacking cough which didn't bode well for tonight.
I remembered reading this here and was impressed by all the positive comments, so I gave it a try. I slathered vicks over the soles of my feet and put a lovely pair of soft woollen socks on.
I am totally gobsmacked by how quickly it has worked! I can breathe more easily and my lungs aren't 'tickling' all the time. Truely amazing. And the effect was almost instantaneous. Much better than when applied to the chest.
I wonder how it works?

Posted by: Clare | November 21, 2008 5:31 PM

I put Vicks on my feet, and now the dog won't sleep at the foot of my bed. That's GREAT!

Posted by: Linda J. | November 23, 2008 2:32 AM

Here I am at 2am in the morning searching through the Internet because my daughter cannot sleep because of her coughing. I was giving her cough medicine , rubbed Vicks on her chest,etc...nada, nothing was working. I felt so bad because she looked so tired and worn. Then I found this message board and read about rubbing Vicks on feet. Hmmm...I said I'll give it a try. And even though my tired daughter looked at me funny, I rubbed Vicks on her feet and put socks on. Then I said do you want a warm lemon drink with honey. She said yes, but by the time I had prepared the drink and brought it upstairs...SHE WAS ASLEEP. I will keep on doing this. Thanks for sharing...

Posted by: Lynn | December 5, 2008 2:37 AM

We must be the only people on the planet that this doesn't seem to work for...we also have been up all night, trawling the net for info, and we thought this might actually be the answer...but no, its just made her coughing even worse...

Ah well...another night of no sleep...

Posted by: Sue | December 13, 2008 10:28 PM

Am I really the only one who has had no luck with Vicks on the soles of the feet? My eleven year old daughter has been coughing non-stop for almost a week and has missed five days of school. She's basically fine--no fever, no vomiting, active, etc.--but the cough is relentless. I have tried thick layers of Vicks on her feet for the past three nights with no success at all. Even the Robitussin with codeine that the doctor prescribed has not had any effect. It's definitely a post-nasal drip--not in the lungs but more in the throat. We have tried the neti-pot, Benadryl, cough drops, steam, and a nebulizer with albuterol. This cough is HORRIBLE!!!

Posted by: Amy | December 15, 2008 10:12 PM

Worked for me too. Last month I had a horrible cold that caused my throat to swell and I couldn't swallow without terrible pain. Antibiotics cleared that up though. Am coming down with a nasty cold again but last night I rubbed the Vicks on my feet and woke up with throat less sore and able to breathe better than before. I reapplied it this morning and find that I can breath even better. I don't know if it is the Vicks but I also find I can blow my nose so much better now. And don't forget the power of prayer! Always ask for the LORDS healing upon you!

Posted by: just another me | December 23, 2008 8:34 AM

I would like to chime in and say it worked for us. After a night of night sleeping while holding my son in a semi upright position because it alleviated some of his coughing, I can't give him cough syrup as he is allergic to alot of dyes and additives, so I went out and bought Vicks, and couldn't wait until last night to test it out.
He coughed off and on all day, with it slowly getting worse come the evening. So after we got ready for bed, I put the Vicks on his feet, and seriously within minutes, he stopped coughing. I at first thought it was a fluke, and kept checking on him and not once did he cough. He woke up very well rested and so did I!!
I will def. use this method again and spread the word.

Posted by: Mel | December 24, 2008 10:46 AM

My pediatrician actually recommended this to us yesterday for my daughter's cough. I was surprised to hear this coming from an actual doctor, but am definitely curious to see if it will work. Put it on her feet tonight before bed, so we'll see!

Posted by: Chanse | December 30, 2008 9:12 PM

It works, it works, it works. That's all I have to say.

Posted by: Chris | February 4, 2009 9:54 AM

YES YES YES!!! I heard about this from a friend . When my 4 year old caught a cold and I could not get him to stop coughing during the night, I thought i would Try it.. Nothing was working including cough meds. I rubbed the Vicks on his feet and covered with cotton socks AND..... Voila no more cough at all. He went right to sleep and was quiet till morning. I also ised it on my 22 month old daughter and it worked for her. I would recommend it to anyone.

Posted by: Amy | February 8, 2009 7:56 PM

Ive not tried it yet. i have a terrible cough and i have had no sleep for the last 84hours!!! Im 14 and im going to try it tonight. My cough is terrible i also have diarrhea.

]note from Barbara: I hope it works! But you need to go see a doctor = please make sure you do.]

Posted by: Curtis | March 4, 2009 4:30 AM

Posted by: Curtis | March 4, 2009 4:30 AM

My daughter had a dry cough left over from a cold. It woke her up during her sleep and woke us up also. I felt so sorry for her then I remembered reading online that vicks on the feet covered with socks was a home remedy. So... I had nothing to loose and I do not like to use medication. To my surprise it worked like a charm no more coughing at night. Not one cough the whole night. I am thankful for the internet!

Posted by: Corinda | March 13, 2009 12:14 AM

Sorry, it didn't work for us, either. Once my son's once-every-20-seconds cough set in around 2AM, despite having used the saline rinse, a humidifier, and tilted his bed a little with a pillow, we became desparate. The Vick's had no effect. He coughed the entire rest of the night and is still coughing now while I write this at 10AM.

It certainly didn't hurt, though - so good luck.

Posted by: Aaron | March 15, 2009 12:13 PM

What about when the cough is croup? I was told early on that menthol irritates the already inflamed and irritated membranes as a result of croup. Has anyone used it for that? We've had 3 nights of steamy shower/night air and she's actually worse today with a steroid shot AND antibiotic.

Posted by: Heather | March 25, 2009 10:41 AM

@ Heather
My son regularly suffered from croup. The only thing that really helped him was a nebulizer (saline solution + steroids).
I would not try Vicks on a "croupy" child, as I would fear making it worse using menthol.
Although the "Vicks Trick" helped him when he was suffering from a non-croup cough. I cannot really explain why it works so well and I can't find any scientific evidence, but hey, never mind, it helped my boy. :)

Posted by: Jill | April 5, 2009 7:40 PM

There are many responses but I had to share. Definitely worked for me - on my youngest this past winter and on me. I had to use it often with a horrible cough. I tried doing just my chest as the cough seemed to ease up but it didn't work unless I included the feet. Why it works... Who knows? But it does! Such an easy remedy to an otherwise all-night coughing marathon.

Posted by: Nicole | April 7, 2009 7:04 AM

I need to share too. I have been doing this personally for 2 years. As soon as I feel symptoms of a cold, I begin putting Vicks on my feet 2 @ per day. Works like a charm, usually never catch the cold. One time I did but I waited days to use the Vicks. I learned my lesson I use it right away now. Also my daughters pediatrician told us to put it on her daughters socks. None on the chest until over 12 months old. Heck I don't even bother with the chest anymore.

Posted by: Janis | April 14, 2009 12:03 PM

not certain if it was from vicks or if she finally wore herself out- but my 4 year old has been coughing so terribly at night time for the past few days. I hopped on my computer desperate for some sleep, while she was still coughing every 20 seconds or so- and i ran straight to the cabinet, put socks on her, and she's actually snoring right now.lol, was instant. unbeleivable. i am still a skeptic, will try again tomorrow.

Posted by: Kate | April 20, 2009 12:06 AM

I definitely worked for me! But just because it did for me doesn't mean it will for everyone. I had been recovering from the flu and had that dry tickling cough that would keep me from falling asleep and so I tried it and I swear within 5 to 10 mins. I was finally able to stop coughing and get some much needed sleep. Yay!

Posted by: Nikki Newell | June 3, 2009 7:11 PM

Boy do I wish this worked for me, not as lucky as the rest I guess.

Posted by: Rebecca | July 13, 2009 8:46 PM

I've been suffering bronchitus left over after a case of the flu. The Dr. has me on codine based cough meds and they don't work at all for me. After two weeks of not sleeping, a neighbor told me about this and I was willing to give a shot. I've slept perfectly well each night since. Works in my book.

Posted by: Michael Francis | September 27, 2009 2:17 PM

I have been using Vicks on my daughter's feet since she was about 5. She's now almost 8. IT WORKS!! When she was little,before the Vicks, she used to require Albuterol nebulizers for her cough. Not anymore. It's great. Except now she'll wake up when I'm applying it to her feet and she doesn't like it but IT WORKS!!!

Posted by: Lisa O | October 2, 2009 10:26 AM

It works, but to get the congestion out keep in mind they make Mucinex for adults and kids and that works wonders to break up the congestion!!!

Posted by: Mandy | October 4, 2009 12:44 PM

I have been doing this for YEARS and swear by it for my three kids!! I just did it 15 minutes ago to my son who is 6. It took 5 minutes for it to work and all is quiet. I use it for me, too!

Posted by: jen | October 6, 2009 12:37 AM

Well, it's been 25 mins and my 5-yr old is still coughing. I was hoping this "silly sounding" remedy was going to work for him ... Ah well ... no success here :(

Posted by: MrsB2B | October 12, 2009 11:52 PM

I am a 54 year old perpetual skeptic who is currently getting over the flu. I had a nasty cough that kept me up for two nights straight. My wife heard of this and decided to try it since the Mucinex DM my doctor suggested was only having marginal success. I'm now a believer. After applying it to my feet and covering my feet with socks, I had no more coughing for the entire night. Tried it again the next night with the same results...Can't explain it...Don't need to know how it works...but it does..

Posted by: Larry | October 24, 2009 8:58 AM

I was laying in bed at 1 am thinking I AM ABOUT TO GO CRAZY, the constant cough was driving me nuts! Used the vicks all is well, although during nap today it didn't work, also my child didn't sleep, propped him up this time, don't know if its a combo of the prop,vicks,actual sleep time...but thank god!!!!

Posted by: ms. awake at night | October 27, 2009 3:00 AM

Just want to add my experience to the mix. My 22-month old gets croup all the time. Our latest bout (this past weekend) had us in the pediatrician's office (instead of the ER, thankfully). She is the one who recommended the Vicks on feet + socks remedy. I tried it and my son slept soundly through the night without a single cough. He's coughed more, now, through the day than he did last night - which was NOT AT ALL! I'm amazed and will be using this from now on for both my boys, my husband, and myself!

Posted by: Colette | November 9, 2009 2:04 PM

I had heard about the vicks on the feet approach a while back. When I entered week 5 with my 10 year old daughter's nighttime cough I decided to give it a try.

Although the cough didn't disappear it did greatly reduce the amount of coughing she did during the night. She was able to sleep straight through the night for the first time in weeks. We used it for another week and the cough has disappeared.

After nursing two kids for three months I finally got sick. I decided to try the vicks on the feet tonight because I have a nagging cough that will not let me sleep. I have only had it on for about 20 minutes but I already feel a reduction in the tickle in my throat and my cough has eased already. I am not ready to declare victory...let's see what the night brings. I will come back tomorrow and let you know how it worked.

Lauren

Posted by: Lauren | December 3, 2009 12:37 AM

The night turned out to be a long one but not due to coughing. I developed a very painful throat that kept me from sleeping. Once I used the VICKS my cough subsided greatly.

The throat pain brought me to the doctor today. Turns out I have a sinus infection and have been given an antibiotic. Based on my experience I would use the VICKS on the foot approach again. It definitely helped reduce the coughing.

Posted by: Lauren | December 3, 2009 9:52 PM

My son is only 7 months old. Would vicks babyrub work the same?

Posted by: Sarah | December 19, 2009 12:28 AM

I babysit my 1 and 2 1/2 year old granddaughters and they had been suffering from runny noses for the past week when I heard about this remedy from my sister. I took their socks off and got out the Vicks and rubbed their feet down. When their dad picked up his dried nose kids 4 hours later, I gave them another rub down and told him to leave their socks on them overnight. Next day, no runny nose but I rubbed them down again as you could tell they still had some lingering signs of their colds - the kids were better and seemed happier as you weren't running after them trying to wipe a nose that was irritated from constant wiping. I only babysit them 3 days of the week - saw them after a couple of days at home and their runny noses were back as the treatment hadn't been continued. This works great! Do it every night (or day) until all signs of the cold seem to have disappeared. It also works on adults - I could not believe how quickly I felt better = it does not cure the cold but you feel so much better and comfortable!

Posted by: janet | December 26, 2009 6:56 AM

Yes this is true. My husband and I both have been using Vicks on our feet for the past year whenever we get a cold or cough. It is amazing how you sleep soundly throughout the night. We wish we had known about this when our children were young.

Posted by: Daelyn Dillahunty | January 1, 2010 8:55 AM

Both of our boys (5 and 10) have been fighting this darn cough for about a week now, and we have not been getting any sleep. The Dr said it was a virus, but recommended we keep them on the neb machine and take Delsym kids before bed. Although those do help, my wife remembered the vicks foot trick that a few of the teachers at her school mentioned. I was like, whatever another myth....Boy was I wrong, after about 15 minutes they both suddenly stopped coughing. We had to run in their room to make sure everything was ok, both sound a sleep. I'm a believer now...can't wait until I get a cough.. :)

Posted by: Randy | February 4, 2010 11:41 PM

Last fall, my husband (45) had a tremendous non-productive cough throughout the night. My mother was visiting and suggested Vicks on the feet. I didn't have Vicks, but I had a menthol spray that is used for joint aches and pains (Wal-Mart), so I sprayed and socked. WOW!!! Had to try it the next night, too. It worked! Not sure how. It does not, however, work for a daytime cough (at work and walking around). Hmmm? Interesting, huh?

Posted by: Ana | March 24, 2010 1:35 PM

This is amazing! It really works. I have had a horrific persistant dry cough for the last three days after returning from vacation to Oklahoma. My husband went to the store and loaded up on cough remedies for me but nothing worked. Last night I got on the internet and found the Vicks on the feet thing. I thought oh well, I'll try anything. In five minutes it had subsided and in ten it had stopped altogether. I feel much better this morning but really weak and worn out from all the coughing. Still coughing a little but I have my Vicks and my socks on my feet here in bed as I type this.

Posted by: Linda | June 15, 2010 11:52 AM

My 2yr old son has had a horrible persistent dry cough all day. He hasn't been able to nap at all during the day because of it.

I put him to bed and tried putting vicks on his feet and covering them, because at this point, I'm desperate for anything that'll allow him to get some rest.

It's 30min later and he's still coughing.

It didn't work.

Posted by: Breeze | July 27, 2010 5:20 AM

Well, I have read all the comments and thought I'd add mine.

My daughter (2 years) was prescribed Actifed which worked ok for her runny nose, but did nothing to help her persistent cough.

Tonight I decided to see what I could find online and did a combination of these things, as the coughing was preventing her from getting to sleep and causing her to gag:
*vicks on the chest and back ( not much difference after 10-15 minutes.
*honey, with lime and a bit of water (she wouldn't drink more than a sip).
*Vicks on feet with socks - coughing calmed a bit.
* teaspoon of honey ( coughing calmed a bit more)
Now 20 minutes later she is lying on my arm as I type this cough free and in deep sleep.
I will try the vicks alone tomorrow to see how well it does on it's own.

Posted by: sabrina | September 19, 2010 3:37 AM

Totally works! I have a child that hasn't slept well since he was born when he's feeling well...forget sleep when he's not feeling well. He came down with a boogery cold this week so I decided to give this a whirl and he's slept better sick than he has well!! It's a miracle!!!

Posted by: Becky | October 27, 2010 8:25 AM

remember this from way back when i was a little kid..40+ yrs ago. grandma always had Vicks or Mentholatum on her night stand. and any time we got runny noses or cough at her house that was her way of fixing it. i still use it on all my kids age 24-2 and the grandkid. it works like a charm

Posted by: tammy | October 27, 2010 11:10 PM

I HAVE A 6 YR OLD SON WITH SPECIAL NEEDS. HE HAS ALWAYS HAD A VERY BAD COUGH AND POST NASAL DRIP. I USE A NETI POT BUT HE WONT. I HAD SOME VICK BABY RUB , I PUT IT ON HIS FEET AND I NOTICED A HUGE SUCCESS AND RELIEF FOR HIM. IM GOING TO BUY THE REGULAR VICKS. THANK GOD FOR THIS OLD TRUE AND TRIED METHOD. IT BEATS THE NASTY STERIOD SPRAYS. I ALSO USED THE SOCKS AS WELL.

Posted by: belinda barnett-andrea | October 28, 2010 6:27 AM

My son has had a horrible cough for about 2 weeks. He has been on antibiotics and I've tried multiple cough syrups with no results. Tonight I thought I would try Vick's vapor rub on the soles of his feet. However, I realized I was out of Vick's. Not wanting to run out to the store at 11:00 pm, I thought about what products I had in my home with the same active ingredients. The first thing that came to mind was my face cleanser, Noxema. I tried this with it and with 5-10 minutes he had quit coughing and is now resting quietly and comfortably.

Posted by: Olivia | November 6, 2010 10:43 PM

It's not working for my wife. My wife had a nighttime cough for 3 days already, then I ran to the store for a Vicks at 3:00am and tried to rub it on her feet. It clamied her for maybe 5 to 10 minutes, it started coughing again.

Posted by: Derrick | December 13, 2010 1:02 PM

Tried this tonight out of desperation. 5 yr old has a horrible dry could that kept me awake from 1-5 am last night >_

Posted by: Canuckmom | December 19, 2010 12:04 AM

Does this work because their feet are nice and warm? I mean, this does get their feet all nice and toasty. Does it have to be Vicks brand? I have to confess, I tried it on myself once with a generic brand and it didn't work. Guess I'll go out and buy myself some Vicks.

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | December 19, 2010 10:12 AM

Been coughing non stop for 4 days, Vicks and socks, all gone! wow!!!

Posted by: kk | December 20, 2010 8:10 PM

I'm not mommy or daddy , I just stumbled on this site and like to drop a line :

One of our suppliers who studied homeopathy and told us about the Vicks under the feet for my very sick wife with bronchitis at the moment. Coughing the all night no stop, tried the vicks under the feet last night , she slept the all night without one cough, and so did I !!
Apparently the vicks travel through the channels of the pressure points we have under the feet which are connected to all the body organs ( see reflexology), and help with symptoms.Dunno, in any case : it works!
Ciao

Posted by: Alex | December 21, 2010 7:10 PM

I have been sick with bronchitis for a few days and haven't been able to sleep due to coughing. So I heard about this and decided to try it. Well it did nothing for me. I wish it would have helped I have been hearing such great things about it but, not for me i guess.

Posted by: jlynn121616 | January 5, 2011 1:20 PM

In the process of giving this a try. Just got off the phone with a friend who swears by it. He said a lot of people say it works. I'll let you know how it turns out....

Posted by: Amy | January 12, 2011 10:28 PM

My 7yo has been up for the past 4 hours coughing every 1-2 minutes and crying and just miserable. Somewhere in the back of my head, I remembered something about Vicks on the feet. I did a search and came up with this site. I just ran out to the store and got some (bought a generic store brand) and rubbed it on his feet about 15 minutes ago and then applied socks. He's coughed TWICE and has stopped crying. I'm a total believer!!

Posted by: Christina | January 21, 2011 3:18 AM

I recently started a job on 3rd shift. When I came home and laid down for bed both nostrils plugged up immediately. Was miserable breathing through my mouth. Thought for sure I'd wake up with a sore throat. Got up and took a vitamin and 2 tylenol PM. Remembered neighbors talking about this a couple of years ago. Nothing said about cough specifically. Put vicks on my feet, put socks on and within 1/2 hour could breath through one side of my nose and woke up clear as a bell. Absolutely amazing.

Posted by: Steve | January 23, 2011 9:01 AM

Just tried this with my 9 year old. I Put it on, and no cough for 15 minutes! Hope it works all night : )

Posted by: Jill | February 1, 2011 10:57 PM

Well it is working for us so far. My husband has had a harsh cough for four days. I applied a thick layer to his feet and put socks over them and even gave him a little foot massage to rub it in. He hasn't had much sleep in days, but is snoring right now! I prefer his snoring to constant coughing. My grandma always had Vicks on her night stand and would use it every night. Thank goodness she left some behind with us. Thanks Grandma and Vicks!

Posted by: Monica | February 3, 2011 11:40 PM

My son has been up for several nights coughing all night. Just tried this about 20 minutes ago and he so far has only coughed once. Hope it lasts!!!

Posted by: Michelle | February 7, 2011 11:55 PM

I read your blog every day, but funny I found this entry via google search for how/why this remedy works. I might as well share my experience now that I'm here. ;)
I've heard about this but was very skeptical. Last year I had a cold with a cough that was keeping me awake even after having had cough medicine. In desperation, I remembered hearing the vicks on feet thing, so I tried it. Within 5 minutes I had relief from my cough, and within 10 minutes I was asleep for the night. I thought this was amazing, but remained skeptical: I thought it might be placebo effect, or maybe my cough medicine finally kicked in and worked better, right?
Fast forward to this week; both my boys have terrible chest colds with nasty coughs that aren't responding well to cough medicine. Last night my 3 yr old had a round of deep coughing. He was sort of still sleeping through it, but was coughing a lot. So rather than wake him to take more cough medicine (it had been hours since his last dose, so it was worn off), we took off his socks and rubbed in some Vicks. He blinked a few times, but mostly stayed asleep. Put the socks back on and left him to sleep--the coughing completely stopped. He slept soundly till morning. I am now a believer! He saw the jar of Vicks this morning and pointed to it, saying, "That made me feel better when I was coughing." I had no idea he'd even known we'd put it on him, but apparently he'd been aware enough to know we did and that it helped him.
I love Vicks. I grew up on it, also, but never knew it could work this well.

Posted by: cam | February 17, 2011 11:45 AM

Wow!!!! IT REALLLLLY DOES WORK!!!!!! My 10 year old son hasn't coughed once since I applied Vicks on his feet! So weird! IT is 1 am and he can finally get some deep sleep!!! Bronchitis is the worst! Good luck to all!!!

Posted by: Susan | February 24, 2011 12:44 AM

I am a new believer. I just tried it on my 6 year old son who was coughing so hard that it was making him throw up. He's sleeping like a lamb...and now I can too!

Posted by: Carrie | March 2, 2011 11:01 PM

A friend told me about this long ago and I remember thinking she was crazy. However, my daughters cough got so bad this evening I would have tried anything to make her feel better. I'm amazed. She had been coughing for hours and 10 minutes after I put the Vicks & socks on her feet she was sound asleep and hasn't made a peep since. I can't believe it!

Posted by: Elle's Mommy | April 5, 2011 11:20 PM

Vicks really does work i have a two year old son that has an extremely bad cough right now and i couldnt find anything to relieve him of this coughing he was miserable and the cough was very annoying so i went to the net and came across this so i treid it!

within minutes Corey (my son) his cough started to get fainter and fainter and it stopped in less than 10 minutes. Vicks is a miracle. now i can finally really study for my final .

Posted by: TASHE | May 3, 2011 6:57 PM

I have to say, it really does work. I have no idea why, but when my child goes from coughing every 10 seconds to sleeping for 3 hours straight, I don't care why. I was a skeptic; I am not a skeptic anymore. She woke up and was coughing again this morning, so I put some more on her feet and she isn't coughing again. Try it! It works!

Posted by: Delores | May 17, 2011 7:21 AM

This didnt work at all for my 3 1/2 year old, I guess I will just endure another sleepless night of her throwing up from coughing :(

Posted by: ginny | May 26, 2011 8:01 PM

my 10 yr old has been coughing and sick for the last week. remembered last night about the vicks.put it on her and didnt work. she was us all night. tonight I remembered along time ago someone told me to put vicks on feet and get one pair of socks wet with hot water. put them on and put a dry pair on over the top. I put vicks on my throat for a sore throat and put a hot hot washcloth on and it seems to work so we tried it with her feet tonigh. so far not a sound out of the bedroom. maybe I will get to sleep tonight.

Posted by: Heather | June 10, 2011 1:24 AM

Our 20 year old daughter came back from holiday with a really bad cough. She'd been suffering with it for 3 days before the end of her holiday and was not able to sleep because of it. The first night home she coughed all through the night. Tonight, before she went to bed, and just after she went to bed she coughed and coughed. (even though she saw the doctor this evening) In desperation we googled for an answer. We found the information on 'rubbing vick on the sole of the feet and putting socks on'. We tried it at 10.20pm. She coughed once at 10.25pm - and then slept until 7.20am. We never heard one cough during this time. 4 hours sleep would have been a bonus - but 9 was fantastic. Thank you ... we can recommend this first hand!

Posted by: Allan | October 7, 2011 7:46 AM

My 2 year old granddaughter has been coughing all day, and coughed sporadically all last night. I put her to bed tonight, and the cough just wouldn't stop. You can't give cough medicine to a baby, so I was feeling very bad for her knowing it must hurt and was keeping her awake. I remembered reading about this, and figured it was worth a shot. I just put her down 10 minutes ago, and she is out like a light, NO COUGHING! Anyone with a coughing baby should definitely give this a try. It doesn't hurt to try, and the relief that both of you will feel is wonderful!

Posted by: Annie | October 15, 2011 1:17 AM

I spent loads of money on expensive cold medicines to try and lessen the sympthoms. working all day, not sleeping all night, I was getting so tired and found myself checking the internet for any kind of solution. I grabbed boyfriends old Vicks pot, woollen socks...and within 5 min of applying on my feet, it was as if a warm blanket had surrounded me. bye bye cough....time for a good nights rest.

Posted by: jenny | October 27, 2011 4:26 PM

My son has had a terrible cough for days. I took him to the doctor today and got a prescription cough syrup. It didn't help much. After I put him to bed, all I could hear was a constant cough coming from his room. I don't know what made me remember the Vick's trick (yes,that's what I've named it) but I tried it out and I am in amazement. He hasn't coughed one time since I rubbed it on his feet. I can't wait to share with all my mommy friends.

Posted by: Shannon | November 18, 2011 1:02 AM

Our daughter has been coughing so hard she throws upand cant breathe properly, it took about 30 mins and a nice layeriing of vicks then socks ontop, but she is sleeping now and its reduced the coughing, i believe. shes gone from coughing for a few minutes straight with a 60 second break to not coughing for atleast 15 minutes. so far its actually working, i put a nice amount on, and it took a while but it seems to have worked. just an old jar of straight adult vicks vapour-rub. idk about the new stuff in a squeeze tube but the old stuff is what i used.

Posted by: dave | November 23, 2011 7:02 AM

You answered my prayers! My son is 3 and came down with such a bad cold, I have tried everything including the Little Colds Cough medicine. No luck. I needed him to sleep tonight so I could sleep without having the puke bucket in my hands.... 10 min in and no coughing. It actually seems like he is breathing better! Who ever though of this... I love you! Good night all.

Posted by: Christine | November 29, 2011 11:34 PM

My 3yo son has been coughing all day - so much that he has vomitted 3 or 4 times.

He's very congested, also. I put Vicks on his chest and feet less than 10 minutes ago, along with a Vicks cough drop, and the coughing has reduced to once every few minutes instead of uncontrollable coughing.

post nasal drip

Posted by: TK | December 16, 2011 7:16 PM

Absolute fail on every count! Tried this four different times throughout my 3 yr. old's now two week bug, and it had no effect whatsoever. I knew it probably wouldn't work, but we were desperate.

Posted by: Amy | December 30, 2011 12:41 PM

Not a mom but a nurse just told me about Vick on the feet and I tried it, 10 mins later I felt my chest relieved and now an hour later not a cough after 6 weeks! OK, be sceptic but try it.

Posted by: Peter | January 6, 2012 12:08 PM

I put Vicks on my husbands feet tonight, and covered them with his socks.... No coughs! He's been up for nights coughing, my mom told be about this, I thought she was a bit nuts, but it's very true. Use real Vickis - not no name, and be generous.

Posted by: Shauna | January 7, 2012 4:05 AM

It's 12:53 AM California time and my son has been coughing every 5-10 seconds. I decided to put some Vic's on his chest, back, and feet to help the cough go away and literally, after putting the socks on his feet, he stopped coughing! It sounds unbelievable but it really worked for us! I just so happen to google "why do people put Vicks on their feet?" and here I am submitting this comment.

Posted by: Kate from Hawaii | January 11, 2012 4:00 AM

The entire family has been sick with a really nasty cold. Both my husband and 9 year old have ended up with ear infections, to the extent that the 9 year old got ruptured eardrums. The 5 month old started going down hard too until I started rubbing the vicks on her feet twice a day and leaving her in her footsie pajamas. And voila - she's almost 100% again. I don't care how or why, I'm just happy she's going to be ok.

Posted by: Carey | January 13, 2012 9:37 PM

Just applied this to my 3 yr old about 10 mins ago. He has been coughing day and night for a couple days. He's too young for any OTC cough and cold med, so I'm willing to try anything to get him to sleep through the night. So far he's only coughed a couple times so we'll see...........

Posted by: Sara | January 15, 2012 9:55 PM

^^^^^^^ UPDATE: My son has had the Vicks on his feet for almost 2 hours and I must say it has helped. He hasn't completely stopped but he has definitely gotten better. He was coughing nonstop earlier. I'm sold! :)

Posted by: Sara | January 15, 2012 11:38 PM

I was dealing with a child who had a cough that was persistent regardless of what I tried. I finally remembered a friend that I went to high school with who had always gone on about this so I tried it out of desperation.
Almost immediately the coughing stopped and since then on several occasions this has stopped coughing in my kids. It is really an amazing little trick that seems to work better than any cough syrup I have ever tried.

Posted by: Stephanie | January 22, 2012 1:20 AM

My son was coughing and coughing last night. I remembered reading about rubbing Vicks on the feet but didn't have any Vicks so I just started rubbing his feet. The cough calmed down and he was able to fall asleep and didn't have another horrible "fit" the rest of the night. I wonder if it's the feet rubbing that's important?! He still had a few coughs just not that escalated like he was almost going to throw up and he didn't wake up until morning. I'm going to buy Vicks and try the foot thing again tonight and if just rubbing his feet doesn't work I'll add the vicks in.

Posted by: Sally | February 14, 2012 2:11 PM

14 yr old daughter had a persistant terrqible dry cough . Tried suppressants expectorants tea and honey... nothing worked. I came accross a site putting vicks on feet and covering with socks. We laugh but had nothing to lose. Didnt sound dangerous. So we tried it. Her cough almost immediately ecame less intense and within 5 minutes nothing but a light tickle cough. She slept all night cough free. It works! Also 2 teasponns honey and pinch of white pepper worked excellent for the day while at school.

Anyone skeptical really needs to try it. Sounds funny

Posted by: larry | February 22, 2012 9:08 AM

I had a friend tell me about this and I thought she was CRAZY! She told me her grandma did it to her mom, her mom did it to her and she does it to her kids. So I thought, vicks is ok on the chest...why not on the feet. I didn't have any Vicks at the time, but I did have a store brand. It didn't work. I still spent the whole night coughing. I was getting ready to try it again the next night when I noticed something...other than the fact that I had an off brand. Did you know that Vicks and the off brands have expiration dates? Mine was almost two years past it's date. So, I got dressed, went to the store and got a bottle of Vicks. Got home, slathered it on, socks on top. By the time I finished putting the bottle away and washed my hands, my cough (the wet, nasty, lung rattling kind) had stopped, my sinuses had opened up (that may have had something to do with the fact that I did smear a bit above my upper lip which is what I grew up having done to me) and the tickle in my throat was subsiding. I have had a lot of success with Vicks. No more off brand for me! And I always check the date...lol! And this little trick will always be the first thing I try.

Posted by: Meredith | February 23, 2012 12:51 AM

I tried it on all of my grandchildren at one time or another. It works every time.

Posted by: Sandi | February 24, 2012 2:43 AM

Have just put Vicks on son's feet, he has been coughing and scratching his throat with tongue for hours !!! Now he is sleeping soundly. This is the second time I have used this remedy and I am a true believer xx

Posted by: Carmel | March 1, 2012 9:52 PM

Our neighbor has really sold us on the idea of helping the kids keep their chests warm at night. We use a simple thermal layer, ChestWarmers, they really seem to help and the kids are hooked on them.

Posted by: Jay Coalson | March 16, 2012 1:56 PM

So far it's not working for my 10 year old daughter who's
Had a bad caugh for last 2 nights. Just tried it... It's been 10 minutes... Shes still caughing every 2-3 minutes .
When you put the Vicks on does it go just on the soles of feet
Or all over feet?
Also, I used Vicks vapo rub, is that the right Vicks to use?

Posted by: Chris | March 27, 2012 2:54 AM

Works great! I did it last night and slept ALL night without waking to cough!

Posted by: Ashley | April 3, 2012 2:23 PM

Tried this with my 14 month old son who has been coughing for several nights now and it made a difference! He has coughed a few times but NOTHING like the past nights. We might sleep tonight! Thanks Vicks!!!

Posted by: Meg | April 17, 2012 11:55 PM

Do you have to put socks on for it to work ??

Posted by: LCD | April 25, 2012 1:27 AM

It probably works without socks, but the socks hold the Vicks on your feet all night - and keep it from getting on your sheets.

Posted by: Barbara | April 25, 2012 9:58 AM

Can you hear that? SILENCE !!!!!!!! it worked by golly it worked ....thank god for VICKS .......

Posted by: Emily | May 28, 2012 3:39 PM

Thank you so much for the tip! It just worked on my 3yo daughter!
Vicks = wonder balm!!!

Posted by: Claire | June 9, 2012 11:17 AM

Works like a charm every time I've used it on my daughter. She had a cough tonight and suffered for about an hour because I couldn't find the Vicks. Found it, and the minute I applied it she drifted off into a deep sleep. Try it at least once and see if it works. Don't let your children or even yourself punish throughout the night with a hacking cough. I literally slather it on thick on the bottom of her feet, put on some socks and cover her with a blanket. It helps them sweat out the illness as well. I will continue to use this method. :)

Posted by: Cupnotes | June 26, 2012 1:42 AM

It worked for me, I'd say. It took a while to kick in and didn't last all night. I had to get up in the middle of the night to reapply. But I did have soft feet in the morning!

Posted by: Lori | July 15, 2012 9:59 AM

I know it works, this is the second cold my 1yr old has had in the last month and the adult Vicks on chest, back and feet works wonders. Last time he just had a head cold, and I managed to control it with steaming day and night plus Vicks each night, and elevating him in his cot, this time it is already on his chest, and he is very grizzly, have been giving panadol to keep temp down and he is not interested in anything. I have been out of action since the weekend layed up in bed with the flu, and I hope my son has only just picked up a cold and not the full blown flu. I do know that Vicks works wonders, not the baby one it's not strong enough, you need the adult one.

Posted by: Simone | July 16, 2012 11:18 PM

This really does work. I've had a horrible hacking couch for a week and googled cough remedies and within minutes of putting it on my feet I felt better and haven't coughed yet. BTW I'm 34 years old so works for adults as well.

Posted by: Dee | October 17, 2012 12:58 PM

My four-year-old can't seem to shake this cold that's been going around, and the cough is bad at bedtime. He was coughing for 2 hours consistently tonight -- we had tried cough syrup and it seemed to work a little, but not great. Finally, I desperately went online looking for answers and, what do you know, I put the Vicks (cream since we didn't have the regular one in the tub) on his feet and chest, put socks back on and he hasn't coughed in 40 minutes so I think it works!!!

Posted by: GLP | November 11, 2012 11:43 PM

Ok my turn... I like the smell of vicks......but cannot stand the feeling of it on my chest...i also cannot stand sleeping with socks on.........15 minutes ago I put a thin layer on my feet and climbed into bed...with no socks on..i was nonstop coughing 15 minutes ago....now I only have a little " tickle" in my throat............so for me Ill say it works.

Posted by: Jean | November 17, 2012 11:49 PM

I just applied baby vicks to my daughters feet. She has a raspy cough and she was tossing and turning. Not even 5 minutes after applying she is sound asleep. Works great!

Posted by: Stephanie | November 19, 2012 2:18 AM

I know this concept works, I have done it myself many times after a cold leaves me with a cough. In fact I did it last night and it worked before I lay down. How ever I used "Buckley's White Rub" which is on the same line as Vick's. Will have to switch to Vick's now as Buckley's no longer makes their White Rub. I certainly am going to miss that stuff. It was great on cuts, cold sores, sun burns even relieved pain. To bad it doesn't work for everyone. But it does work for the majority.

Posted by: Molly | November 20, 2012 4:50 AM

It worked like a charm. Sounds crazy, but our 4 year old was coughing awful all the way home tonight...did the Vicks and socks and haven't heard a single cough. One of those crazy things that actually does work! Not sure how, but it has so far. I wonder if I rub Vicks on my head if it will regrow hair. ; )

Posted by: Eric | December 23, 2012 1:02 AM

My son was coughing so much that i was a out to call his pediatritian. As soon as I rubbed the Vicks he stopped coughing and he is snoring lol... Sweet dreams baby ...

Posted by: Emma | December 30, 2012 1:33 AM

Wish this worked for my 5 year son. As a lay here at 1:00AM and desperate to help relieve his constant cough, I gave this a shot as nothing else is working. He is now coughing every few minutes instead of every 30 seconds. Definitely doesn't work for everyone. :(

Posted by: Misty | January 12, 2013 12:59 AM

Not working for my 7 yr old so far. Oh well, was definitely worth a try. Nothing else has worked either.

Posted by: H | January 27, 2013 4:54 PM

I have baby Vicks at home. Will that work just the same as regular adult Vicks?

Posted by: Amanda | January 29, 2013 3:25 PM

should work just fine...Papa Tripp

Posted by: Barbara | January 29, 2013 4:28 PM

Thanks for the great tips. It works.

Posted by: nazri | February 4, 2013 12:51 PM

I am writng from Nigeria. I must say this method works. My two year old son has cough attacks at times and I apply a product called mentholatum (similar components with vicks) and it works like magic.
As a matter of fact as I write, he is fast asleep after an application when I heard him coughing. It does work, even without wearing the socks.

Posted by: iboro Tonye | February 4, 2013 6:20 PM

I have a terrible cold and I've had it for a week. My birthday is tomorrow so I'm having a party with my friends. I just put the Vicks on my feet and I'm headed to bed. A cold is not how I want to spend my 19th birthday so wish me luck!!

Posted by: Emily | March 8, 2013 11:27 PM

Writing from Grenada.My daughter is 9. Was desperately in need of something; anything, came across the vicks application thing (massaged for a few minutes) and halleluyah ...works wonders.Coughing stopped immediately and the breathing became a lot calmer .Will advocate for Vicks anytime. This thing really really works!!!

Posted by: marcy | March 23, 2013 8:25 AM

My 13 year old has gone to bed with a dreadful cold and bad dry cough, I kept hearing him cough every minute from his bedroom and I'm on the computer so I looked up remedies that work and came to this site. I ran down to the bathroom grabbed the vicks (Which I had previously put on his chest) and rubbed it into his feet, I have been back in the lounge reading the comments for the last 15minutes and there has been no coughing at all, I am truely amazed. Thanks :0

Posted by: Tash | April 3, 2013 7:07 AM

After looking up a home remedy for my son I read the vicks on feet everywhere... decided to try it. My 3 yr old has respitory problems since 1yr old. Has nebulizers and inhalers... the cough is bad now.. tried the vicks, it worked for maybe ten mins..he's up again coughing. What did I do wrong??? Anything to help soothe my little one to sleep, please, suggestions?

Posted by: cat | April 24, 2013 12:54 AM

I have a chronic cough. It's a cough-variant asthma caused by chemical intolerance. Instead of a wheezing spasm like regular asthma, my lungs, tonsils, and throat are superinflamed all the time and the irritation causes a dry itchy cough that nothing helps for long. I'm on Spiriva, Advair, and an albuterol rescue inhaler, as well as antihistamines and mucinex with cough suppressant. None of these drugs completely gets rid of that cough and I wake up coughing all night long.

I read this about Vicks and decided to try the foot thing... the first three nights that I've tried it, I have slept soundly all night long. Last night, I forgot to put the Vicks on before bed, and I woke up hacking about 1am. Put the Vicks on, and promptly fell asleep and slept through the rest of the night with no cough.

Also, for those folks who are trying to avoid drugs and chemicals, I have heard from several people that you can get the same result from rubbing eucalyptus oil on the soles of your feet. I myself plan on switching to this method when I use up the Vicks, as I am trying to weed all drugs and chemicals out of my house to improve the symptoms of my asthma. I would, however, advise caution. Eucalyptus oil can be very harsh and burn your skin, especially the skin of children. I would advise diluting it with another oil such as jojoba, sesame, olive, or coconut oil.

Posted by: Lynne | May 10, 2013 12:07 PM

I been up since 2am trying to stop my baby from coughing so much..I did everything I could and nothing worked, until I read vicks on their feet... did it work??? YES IT DID!! !!!!:) ITS 5:30AM NOW, FINALLY I CAN GO TO SLEEP...:) TRY IT!

God bless....

Posted by: Anonymous | May 17, 2013 8:31 AM

I was in the hospital last year with pneumonia. I was there for 10 days and didn't sleep 1 night from excessive coughing. the day I got home I searched the internet for cough remedies. I found the vicks and tried it. I swear by everything holy I slept all night long.

Posted by: J | January 2, 2014 10:11 AM

THANK YOU!!!!!! So awesome I could help my poor little girl she was miserable coughing every other minute. Whoever discovered this is a genius and thank you makers if Vicks :)

Posted by: Nichole | January 30, 2014 2:33 AM

Another sleep-deprived mommy here...me and my 4 year old both tend to suffer with prolonged dry nighttime coughs after every cold which don't respond well to cough meds. Sadly I remember trying the vicks remedy years ago on myself and it didn't really seem to work. However I was desperate now with my son not sleeping for the third night in a row from this cough, in spite of delsym, honey, etc., so I went to try this. Unfortunately, him being tired, he freaked out and wouldn't let me put it on properly; I did manage to rub some in but not as much as I would've liked cause he kept crying and rubbing it off. Amazingly he did stop coughing for a bit once he laid back down, then did a bit again, but not nearly as bad as before, he was coughing non-stop. It's been like 20 mins and I'm afraid to get my hopes up but it's quiet, just crossing my fingers and praying that it's actually going to keep working!! We all need some sleep, he's been so tired and grumpy all day!

Posted by: Kate | February 4, 2014 12:13 AM