July 5, 2008 10:24 PM

WALL-E - Pixar does it again!

Having raised kids in the 80s and still raising them today, I'm here to tell you that one of the major perks of being a parent now is kids' movies.

Every parent I know looks forward to the next Pixar film, holding our breaths: Bugs? Fish? Cars? Robots? Can they do it again? Can they produce yet another classic?

alg_walle.jpg

In WALL-E, the Pixar folks have once again delivered, creating a humble hero who can’t even talk and yet who grabs our hearts and won't let go.

The setting is a forlorn, abandoned planet earth – the casualty of excess consumerism, as we learn from clever visual clues like the Buy ‘n Large store (see their website) and its ads for the transport ship which will carry earthlings off on a luxurious space cruise while the cleanup crew goes to work.

Seven hundred years later, a lonely robot named WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class) toils diligently collecting and compacting debris. His joys in life are the “treasures” he finds and collects – cigarette lighters, yellow duckies, a Rubik’s cube. His prize possession and pepper-upper comes from an ancient VHS tape of Hello Dolly.

Every night WALL-E comes home to his grungy abode, sorts through the day’s finds, feeds his pet cockroach, and sinks in to watch “Put on Your Sunday Clothes,” where Dolly’s friends strut their finest and a young couple finds happiness in holding hands.

WALL-E knows there must be something more.

The something more appears when a rocket delivers a sleek and gorgeous robot named Eve (Extraterrestrial Vegetative Evaluator). Despite her tendency to shoot first and ask questions later, WALL-E is immediately smitten. In the process of winning her heart, though, he makes a misstep – he presents her with a tiny plant, thus triggering her recovery mode in which she automatically signals her senders and goes into hibernation waiting to be retrieved.

wall-e-4.jpg

Here is the most beautiful and poignant part of the film, where WALL-E cares for the completely unresponsive EVE, loving her faithfully through several seasons, then latching onto the rocket which returns her to the Axiom cruise ship – a modern ark for ridiculously-over-consuming humans.

The green plant is a sign that it is time to go home to earth. But the problem is, can these infantile, self-satisfied humans muster up the energy to do it?

Add a 2001 Space Odyssey-like rogue computer to the mix, and you have – well, you have a movie worth seeing. And rated G, to boot.

Two of my grown-up sons loved this movie best of all the Pixar films. Oh, and be sure to stay through the credits as there is more to the story told as they roll.

Which leads me to speculate that someone could probably do a personality chart based on people's favorite Pixar film. Anyone want to give it a try? I'll publish it here.

Here's the list:

Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters. Inc.
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Cars
Ratatouille
WALL-E

And just out of curiosity, what's your favorite?

Posted in Entertainment, Movies | Permalink

Comments

My favorite is The Incredibles :)

I can't wait to see WALL-E.

Posted by: paigeu | July 5, 2008 9:21 PM

Hi Barbara,

My children and I are BIG Pixar fans as well. They never disappoint. My favorite? So hard to choose-- they are all so wonderful--but I'd have to say it's a tie between Monsters,Inc. and Toy Story. I just surveyed my three boys as well. My eight year old and I apparently have the same taste, he wasn't able to choose between Toy Story & Monsters, Inc. either. My six year old likes Cars and my four year old picked Toy Story 2. But we haven't seen WALL-E yet, so a new favorite may yet to be revealed :) Thanks for the review!

Posted by: Donna | July 5, 2008 10:00 PM

I took Kids Number 7, 8 and 9 to see Wall-E; a good time was had by all. Their favorite part is Wall-E trying to pronounce "Eve." Mine is the recap of art history accompanying the credits. Thanks for clearing up two mysteries left over in my mind, though: (1) What was that show he was watching? (Hello, Dolly) and (2) Is "Buy n Large" really supposed to be a parody of the retail giant of which I think it's supposed to be a parody? (Yes).

Posted by: kalynne pudner | July 5, 2008 10:18 PM

I think Cars is my personal favorite, although Toy Story is a close second, especially since it was the first one I saw that was all digital.

We saw WALL-E last night and all really enjoyed it.

Posted by: Trish @ Another Piece of the Puzzle | July 5, 2008 11:20 PM

My favorites were Toy Story and Finding Nemo. I'm looking forward to seeing this!

Posted by: Lisa | July 5, 2008 11:21 PM

Love, love, love The Incredibles. Toy Story 2 comes in 2nd.

Posted by: Siobhan | July 5, 2008 11:40 PM

I loved Ratatouille - the facial expressions made possible by
their animators are priceless!!

Wall-E is terrific. I need to see it again, since I was chasing
twin 20 month olds down during my 5 year old grandson's
family BD party while his 6 other cousins and siblings
were mesmerized by Pixar. I know I missed some fun!

Posted by: Leslie Hanks | July 6, 2008 10:41 AM

My favorites (it's a tie) are Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc. Can't wait to see WALL-E.

Posted by: Kim | July 6, 2008 1:27 PM

Cars. Hands down. We were given Cars by my brother Christmas of 2006 when the kids were 6 months old. (I know, introducing too early!) I was in the store the other day and I heard Life is a Highway. I got all teary eyed!!!!! It just reminds me of my kids and their love for Lightnin' McQueen.
Can't wait to see Wall-e......our first time to a theater! (help us)

Posted by: Shannon Best | July 6, 2008 2:11 PM

1. Finding Nemo, loved seeing a strong and loving father figure on film
2. The Incredibles, a very close second, ditto the father figure, plus a great mom
3. Toy Story, fun on a lot of levels

I love the Pixar movies, but Wall-E didn't seem to go over very big with my 7 kids, my mom, my two nieces, or me. It actually reminded me of that awful Spielberg/Kubrick Artificial Intelligence movie of several years ago, with the long sequences showing the devastation of earth while playing rather depressing music. Wall-E had better moral messages, though!

Posted by: Jill S | July 6, 2008 7:43 PM

My favorite (and I love ALL the Pixar films) is definitely Wall-e. Of course, I am a science fiction fan. I loved the messages in that movie. Especially "I don't want to survive! I want to live!"

My second favorite, even though I haven't watched all of it yet, because our library copy keeps going dead about halfway through, is The Incredibles. I loved what I saw of that film.

Posted by: Julie B. | July 6, 2008 9:20 PM

My favorite is Monsters Inc. My two children are almost grown and we still love the Pixar movies. My 20 year old daughter's favorite movie of all time is The Incredibles. My son, who is 17, doesn't have a favorite, he just likes them all. We haven't seen Wall-E yet.

Posted by: jenny | July 7, 2008 11:21 AM

My personal favorite is Monsters Inc.

My daughter's is Finding Nemo
My oldest son's is a three way tie - Cars - Taoy Story and Toy Story 2
My other boys do not have a favorite but they light up when they see all of the bright colors.

Can't wait to see Wal-E - will just have to wait until it comes out on DVD though

Posted by: Krystal-momofautism | July 7, 2008 3:54 PM

I can't wait to see Wall-E, thanks for blogging about it! It sounds like a touching movie, as well as one that will give reminders about what we all need to hear.

My favorites are The Incredibles, Toy Story and Ratatouille, but they're not too far apart =)

Posted by: Sunnyday | July 7, 2008 7:32 PM

LOVE Pixar films! Toy Story holds a very special place in my heart :) Can't wait to see Wall-E!

Our kids collect Disney trading pins but I have to admit that my middle boy's collection is the most fun because he focuses on Pixar ones!

Posted by: Stacy | July 8, 2008 1:55 AM

I still have to see Wall-E, but I just read a great review of it on Crunchy Cons . This is a movie I might actually go to a theater to see. And even take my kids!

My kids love Finding Nemo and Toy Story (although I don't like a lot of them because I find the language used inappropriate for very small children [lots of "shut ups" and put downs and name calling that small kids tend to repeat]), but I think my favorite is going to be Wall-E.

Posted by: Lucy | July 12, 2008 12:41 AM