December 23, 2008 3:22 PM

Make-ahead Christmas breakfast

vintage christmas baking.jpg This is the Curtis traditional Christmas Breakfast Scramble. I make this on Christmas Eve afternoon so it's ready to pull out of the refrigerator on Christmas morning to cook while we unwrap presents. We usually have croissants and orange juice blended with strawberries and ginger ale.

Christmas Breakfast Scramble
  • 12 eggs, beaten
  • ½ c. flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 lb. grated cheddar/Jack cheese
  • ½ c. melted butter
  • 2 4-oz. cans diced green chiles
  • 1 pt. small curd cottage cheese
  • a large package ham, bacon, or sausage
  • mushrooms, artichokes, green pepper, chilis, green onions (you choose)

Cook meat, Mix all ingredients together. Place mixture in 9x13 pan, buttered. Refrigerate.

Next morning, bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

We also have fruit salad and croissants (or lox and bagels) and big pitchers of orange juice mixed with sugar-free ginger ale.

This keeps us pretty full until the afternoon. Our Christmas dinner for the past 21 years has been Chinese food - a tradition that started when I was on bedrest while pregnant with Sophia - who was born December 28. It was so nice to relax all day and not worry about meal preparation, we decided to continue keeping it simple.

Posted in Christmas, Recipes | Permalink

Comments

Oh, thank you so much for posting this!! We usually have homemade cinnamon rolls Christmas morning. This year we had them for lunch this past Sunday so my in-laws could be a part of some of our Christmas traditions! Now, no one wants to eat sweets for that many days!!! (My children aren't sweet-aholics. A really huge blessing to me! Pregnant with twins, I would blow up like a blow fish with that much sugar!) I was looking for something that would feed a large crowd without enormous prep. work! Can't wait to try it!!! Thank you!!! Merry Christmas!!

Posted by: Sara in OK | December 23, 2008 3:41 PM

I fix a breakfast casserole that is very similar. We also have the same tradition of serving it Christmas morning.

Posted by: Betty Connally | December 23, 2008 6:18 PM

Thank you Barbara!
I'm thawing the sausage as we speak! Merry Christmas to you and your awesome family.
Shannon in Austin (it's 77 here today and I'm in shorts!)

Posted by: Shannon Best | December 24, 2008 4:15 PM

Mmmm...I changed it a bit and made it this morning. Used ham, green peppers and mushrooms (Denver omelet style!) Left out the cheese (we don't like it LOL) and added sour cream instead.
Turned out wonderfully. Even appealed to my Morning Sickness Senstive-Stomach. (MSSS LOL)
Merry Christmas!
Sandy

Posted by: Sandy | December 25, 2008 11:11 AM

I made this for our Christmas breakfast with a few modifications based on what I had on hand and it was great. Thank you for sharing. I like that it didn't require bread.

Posted by: Elissa | December 25, 2008 10:38 PM

This recipe looks wonderful! Don't have a large crew, so I'll copy it down and save it for another time.

Just found your blog, after reading your The Truth About Boys (and Girls) and What To Do About It from The Home Educator. Can so relate! Son was born when I'd been married 20 years and parenting 13. Testoserone suddenly introduced into a huge pool of estrogen, we didn't know what to do with him, and one sister still struggles to cope with the constant noise-making (thinks he does it on purpose just to annoy her!).

I look forward to returning often and enjoying your blog regularly!

Diana

Posted by: Flybaby Di - TOS Homeschool Crew | December 27, 2008 9:12 AM

My aunt makes this for Christmas breakfast too, although she puts in some cubed (cooked) potatoes.

Posted by: Stacy | December 27, 2008 7:48 PM

Barbara,

I made this tonight for my small group dinner/Bible study and it was DEVOURED. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

Tari

Posted by: Tari | January 7, 2009 11:37 PM

Barbara- been meaning to write and tell you that this was a HIT on Christmas day. We had the in-laws here and I made this with waffles, and your special orange juice...I think we found a new tradition!

As always, I am praying for the family.
Lisa