March 12, 2009 2:59 PM

Family Guy over the line - FCC needs to know

I hesitate to put a link to this filthy stuff at my site, but I was SO SHOCKED when I read the content of Family Guy's latest episode that I had to pass this on.

Although we have a TV, there are only a few popular shows we watch - like American Idol and The Biggest Loser.  We watch old movies, the History Channel, Discovery Channel.  When my college guys are home they watch wrestling and Scrubs.  Matt watches The Office.

This must be an area where my head has been in the sand. I CANNOT BELIEVE that a TV cartoon on Sunday night and rated for 14-year olds has humor based on bestiality, glory holes (do you know what these are?), gay orgies and a baby eating horse sperm.

Parents Television Council (PTC) is a secular organization - you don't have to be a Christian to be offended by this garbage.  And you don't have to be a TV watcher to care about the depths to which our "entertainment" has sunk::

PTC E-ALERT

March 11, 2009

File an FCC Complaint Against Fox's Family Guy!

Should a Sunday night cartoon show YOUR children bestiality,gay orgies
and babies eating sperm?

Fox thinks so.

Fox's perverted cartoon Family Guy showered audiences in filth Sunday, March 8th. This episode was rated aired TV-14 DLSV by Fox, meaning that in the network's opinion, this content was appropriate for 14-year olds. It aired Sunday night at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT - only 8:00 p.m. in the Midwest - on the public airwaves that YOU own!

â–º To read for yourself just how appalling Sunday night's episode was, click here

WARNING: The dialogue is explicit.

The FCC has the DUTY to enforce the law and fine Fox for this gross violation

of broadcast decency standards.

If you're sickened at the prospect of YOUR CHILDREN seeing this garbage; if it

disturbs you that Fox is using YOUR airwaves, free of charge, to break indecency

laws and pump their sewage into YOUR living room; if you're tired of businesses

sponsoring shows that corrupt YOUR kids and YOUR culture, you can

TAKE ACTION NOW!

â–º To find out who is sponsoring Family Guy click here.

Posted in Activism, Continuing chaos, Culture Wars, Entertainment | Permalink

Comments

Unfortunately, my husband thinks these shows are funny. Last week, I suffered through this one, but finally had it during the next show (American Dad) because it was flat-out blasphemous. But that's nothing new.

Posted by: Katja | March 12, 2009 4:16 PM

i am so in total agreement...its horrid and actually the whole show is gross...although i must say it seems to have taken the cake....wow....i watched one episode and after dragging my chin off the floor have not watched it since...

makes me sad that this is the level that we now find acceptable..i'm still finding it bad that i cannot listen to many radio stations (esp if kids in car) as the lyrics are full of bad words and even worse thoughts...

Posted by: celina | March 12, 2009 4:57 PM

Ok. I'm floored. You have got to be kidding!! Even I didn't think that society had stooped to this new low. I'm really sickened.

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | March 12, 2009 6:08 PM

Another reason why we don't have TV at our house anymore. We have a set, which serves as a monitor, and we watch Netflix movies and movies that we own. That way our kids can watch the stuff that we want them to.

Posted by: mary kathryn | March 12, 2009 6:15 PM

Sickening!

I once had a discussion with a pastor who said we need to "engage the culture" and watch what is popular. (He was defending his choice to watch the movie "American Beauty" about a man who has an affair with his daughter's 17 yr. old best friend.)

I wonder what he (and others who agree) would say about this? Is there no depth to which we refuse to sink?!

Posted by: Smockity Frocks | March 12, 2009 6:59 PM

I just wanted you to know that I did file a complaint. That was disgusting and the fact that it's a cartoon is really scary. How many children were flpping through the channels and stopped on this show?

Posted by: Shannon Miller | March 12, 2009 8:31 PM

I nearly threw up just reading the description of the offending lines. I did file a complaint as well. I stopped watching FOX's "cartoons" when the Simpson's had an episode on where a hungover woman woke up in Bart's treehouse, with an old man, and she goes "Oh... what have I done... ok, aspirin, RU-486..." and pops pills. I just don't understand the humor (never did understand Beavis and Butthead either, so I guess I just have a poor sense of humor)

Posted by: Theresa | March 12, 2009 9:41 PM

Please don't think me a horrible person, but for the first few seasons of Family Guy, my husband and I watched. It wasn't QUITE as bad then. We ignored most of the questionable content. Then one day we were watching the news and saw a commercial for the latest episode that implied the father was wearing a BDSM outfit to his daughter's bachelorette party and was planning to do a striptease. Or something like that.

I almost threw up, turned to my husband and said "This show is now banned in our home." He agreed and we haven't seen it since. I have not missed it one bit.

I do want to point out that not all animated television shows are geared towards children. I'm a big fan of anime, most of which is intended for adult audiences, not children. We adults can enjoy cartoons, too!

Posted by: Courageous Grace | March 12, 2009 10:37 PM

I filed a complaint, too. How could I not? The problem is as long as viewers watch these shows--and the networks can sell advertising space--they will continue to pump out garbage like this.

Posted by: Elizabeth M. Thompson | March 12, 2009 11:14 PM

Sounds really disgusting.

I must be a prude - I had to google glory hole as I had no idea what you meant. Not impressed now that I do know.

I can't believe the things that are shown on TV.

Posted by: Wilma | March 12, 2009 11:47 PM

I just filed. Just because something is a cartoon does not mean it is less obscene. Most of that stuff would not have aired if the show was live action... Therefore it should not have aired on public television, during family hours just because it is animated.

Posted by: Sandy | March 13, 2009 6:56 AM

It seems lately the older I get the less TV I can watch. I used to enjoy watching Family Guy. I even have the first two seasons on DVD that my brother in law gave me as a gift, but lately I've really been questioning the content of this show and many others. It's gotten to the point where I look at my husband and say "Are we really paying our good hard earned money for this filth?"

Posted by: Jennifer K. | March 13, 2009 7:55 AM

I don't think of myself as a prude at all, but I was nauseated just reading the description, and I had no clue what glory holes were. At first, I thought it was just a goofy name for a toilet or urinal. Sigh.

Yes, it's gross of Fox to air it, but they didn't air it without a reason, the reason being consumers who will find it funny and just edgy enough to make them feel cool and superior. (Anyone read C.S. Lewis' 'The Screwtape Letters' recently?)

Garbage in, garbage out.

Posted by: Jill S | March 13, 2009 8:52 AM

Barbara, I've been fighting this for years. Yes, Family Guy, Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, South Park all are disgusting. So are many of the sitcoms that are so popular like Scrubs. Even some of the ones specifically targeted for young kids have innuendos and suggestive situations that kids don't need.

I moved my office so I can see exactly what my kids are watching on TV in the familyroom and stop things right there. My youngest is 11, and I don't want him growing up too fast. But, it's a difficult battle. Most of his friends are going to see Watchmen which is R rated. And he goes to a conservative Catholic school. The video games, computer games, tv shows that these young kids watch are stimuli for terrible behavior.

Posted by: c | March 13, 2009 10:46 AM

I feel like my husband and I can't watch anything meant for adults if the kids are awake. We don't go for the obscene or crude stuff, but even the shows that are mostly tame, you never know when two unmarried people will suddenly be in bed together, when when someone will suddenly pop off with obscene language.

We recently watched what I expected to be a nice romantic comedy, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." Thank God we didn't try to watch that when the kids were still up, because the very first scene contains full male frontal nudity! My husband said, "Well, apparently that's what people want to see," but I don't believe it for a second. Most people will still sit down and watch The Wizard of Oz or It's A Wonderful Life and really enjoy it. So why can't Hollywood make more movies like that?

I used to love to watch The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Leave It To Beaver. And I'm only 27 years old. You can't tell me that people won't watch it these days, because I've seen me do it! If the nitwits in Hollywood had half a creative bone in their collective body, they could put some good clean shows on TV and people would watch.

Posted by: Michelle Potter | March 16, 2009 7:10 PM

You know, there are these things called REMOTE CONTROLS that you can use to change the channel... but let's let the government and the TV raise our kids instead! It's so much easier than doing it ourselves...

A million dollars says this post will be deleted because I have a dissenting opinion, even though I have written it in a PG format.

Meanwhile, unlike you I will read to my kids at night instead of letting them watch television. When they get too old for that, I'll play a game with them after dinner. You, on the other hand, will let the television raise your children and "file" when it isn't doing it the way you want it too.

[Guess you owe me a million dollars, Kafir. But you're most likely the one who won't deliver :)

You're assuming an awful lot. And very illogical. How do you make the leap that people asking for decency on the airwaves don't read to their children and play games with them?

Though we have a TV now - we didn't for years - it is not used much and only for shows with some redeeming/educational value. Since most of my readership is composed of highly motivated and committed parents - with a heavy proportion homeschooling - I think they are certainly reading to their children.

I think we are concerned about the general deterioration of our culture. After all, our children are growing up with kids who are exposed to this kind of garbage. And if you care about children - the reason I became a Montessori teacher - then you care about them in general. There's nothing wrong with that.

So why the presumption, hostility and self-righteousness?

We not only care about our children - reading to them, playing with them, not expecting the government to raise them, paying taxes for public schools many of us don's use, and sacrificing everything to educate our children ourselves - but we also are concerned about children as an exploited class.

Nothing wrong with that, my friend.].

Posted by: Kafir Sandaval | March 20, 2009 7:39 PM

Ok, Barbara. You just took my thunder away. LOL. I was just going to say that I notice a difference in the kids of parents that allow them to watch this garbage vs kids of parents that don't. Other parents aren't even bothering to check what they're kids are watching and that affects society as a whole (and my kids directly!). So that little device called the remote control? Mine only works in this house. It is very obvious that Kafir doesn't have any kids and if he/she is giving you a phony email address...doesn't have honesty either. Hmmm. Telling us how to raise our kids?

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | March 20, 2009 9:44 PM

ok, i understand that the show is gross but if you don't like it then turn it off, and if you don't want your kids watching it then get a v chip and program it to not show that channel at that time. just because a select few people don't like it doesn't mean that you should ruin it for every one else. I don't watch it regularly but i enjoy an occasional episode or two but i agree they do often cross the line and it is wrong, but when its too much i simply change the channel. Its as easy as the click of a button.

Posted by: Adam | October 1, 2009 1:53 AM

I like this show. Now I agree that some of the contents it contains are vile and I don't watch episodes with too much of it. But that being said don't try to ban a tv show that other people enjoy, instead you could try and get the rating back up to R or M like it used to be. It did surprise me that it is now rated for 14 year olds.

Posted by: annonymous | August 1, 2010 10:55 PM