June 24, 2009 10:49 AM

Political cartoons - teach your kids

biggovernment.jpg

From the current issue of World Magazine, via Creators Syndicate. The artist is Gary Varvel and you can access all his political cartoons - and many others at Creators.com.

Political cartoons are a great way to teach your children about the issues. I am always amazed by the ability of artists to sum up a situation in a single frame that would take me 1000 words.

Oh, that's right - a picture is worth a thousand words!

Seriously, moms and dads. I still remember in elementary school when we were introduced to political cartoons. Don't know if they are teaching this in public school anymore (do me a favor - ask your kids and let me know).

Don't forget to teach your kids. Look at the cartoon and discuss what it means. After a while, they will start to get it on their own. And who knows? You might have a budding political cartoonist under your wing.

Posted in Culture, Homeschooling, Teens and Tweens | Permalink

Comments

I don't know about public schools today, but I never saw political cartoons in school. (My 10 year reunion is next month.) It's a pretty cool idea, though.

Posted by: Michelle Potter | June 24, 2009 12:25 PM

Don't forget the conservative political cartoonist Michael Ramirez and Investor's Business Daily: http://www.ibdeditorials.com/Cartoons.aspx

I think he is excellent!

Posted by: Jill S | June 25, 2009 8:39 AM

I am a 6th grade teacher (considered elementary/intermediate in our school district) and we are making our own political cartoons as well as studying them this week!

Posted by: Bgustin | May 17, 2011 8:28 AM

I came across this while helping my 6th grader find a political cartoon for a homework assignment.

Posted by: Tina | October 11, 2011 5:23 PM

My son and I are searching for a political cartoon for a grade 8 assignment. Barrie, Ontario.

Posted by: DM | October 27, 2011 5:16 PM

A good resource is Creators Syndicate: http://www.creators.com/editorialcartoons.html

Posted by: Barbara | October 27, 2011 11:18 PM

yea. im a freshman at a public school and my history teacher shows them to us all the time. they're on tests and as warm ups for class too. i hear from my friends that their history teachers also show them political cartoons.

Posted by: kelly | April 9, 2012 7:07 PM

I am a 6th grade teacher and I teach a unit on political cartoons. I was not taught this in school when I was younger, I eventually learned about them on my own.

Posted by: Michelle | April 27, 2012 10:46 AM

My 7th grade daughter is picking 2 political cartoons a week and has to do an analysis of them. That is how we ended up on this site. It is hard to find political cartoons that she understands. They will also have to make their own cartoon.

Posted by: Lisa | August 16, 2012 10:38 PM

Here's a good one I posted this morning: http://mommylife.net/archives/2012/08/obamaryan_-_cam.html

Posted by: Barbara | August 18, 2012 9:49 AM

I go to a public school in Florida and unfortunately, they do not teach us anything about political cartoons. I am a Junior in High School and they have never given me or any of my friends, any incentives to do so. I finally got to do a class with a college professor this year who gave us a project to look up a political cartoon and told us to be aware of current events.

Posted by: BrendaWeiss | August 30, 2012 8:00 PM

Yes, my daughter goes to Calaveras High School in California and her history teacher gives the 5 points extra credit each week for bringing one in and explaining what it means. :)

Posted by: Susie | May 12, 2014 11:52 AM