January 13, 2010 10:27 AM

Maddy Curtis on American Idol

Hello to all my wonderful readers!

I've missed you.
As many of you now know, Maddy tried out for American Idol in Boston last June and made it through all the rounds to the judges, who voted unanimously to send her to Hollywood. If you missed the show last night, here it is:
(If the video has been taken down, search YouTube for Maddy Curtis.)
We had to keep this confidential in order for Maddy to maintain her place in the competition - which has not been easy for someone who likes to communicate about just about anything that's on my mind :)

On New Year's Day I was going through my American Idol Google alerts - which I'd been receiving to glean any information which might help me be of service to Maddy - when I was shocked to find her name listed on a blog that keeps tabs on the show, with links to her YouTubes and things I'd written about her here.

To protect her privacy - because I thought Maddy should have the opportunity to show people who she is and how she sings before being judged - I decided to pull the YouTubes and take down my blog until the Boston auditions had been broadcast. Now that the world has seen her shine, I can resume my normal life.

Maddy and I are on our way back from Hollywood today. Because of the confidentiality agreement, I cannot say anything about what has not yet been broadcast on the show. But for those of you who watched just for Maddy and don't care that much about AI, the shows between now and February cover auditions in other towns. February 3 is billed as "The Road to Hollywood" and may or may not have stuff about Maddy.

I have gotten a couple hundred emails and Maddy has gotten a ton of text messages since the show aired. Someone started a Maddy Curtis Facebook page for fans - with nearly 1000 members in a few hours. And a friend informed us a few hours after the show aired that Maddy Curtis was the 2th most googled item as they wrote.

That's what five minutes on TV can do.

I'm on my way to bed after an emotional roller coaster of a day which I can't yet write about. Maddy is sleeping peacefully. There is a God who has her in His hands and that gives me great peace and joy. Tripp and I are grateful - as we are with each of our kids - that He has entrusted us to be her parents.

Posted in Big families, Down syndrome, Family, Music, My life | Permalink

Comments

YEAH!!!! She did incredible. So proud of Maddy ;)

Posted by: Margaret | January 13, 2010 10:48 AM

That was beautiful!!! Congrats to Maddy and your family!!! I don't usually watch AI, but I will this time.

Posted by: Sherry | January 13, 2010 10:56 AM

That brought tears to my eyes! She's beautiful and her voice is beautiful! You should be so proud!

Posted by: Jenny | January 13, 2010 11:01 AM

So happy for Maddy and for you, Barbara! Your family was wonderful in the clips they showed. Maddy is a gem. I pray she wins!

And SO happy to have you back here! I missed you and your blog so much!

Posted by: Kim | January 13, 2010 11:04 AM

Hooray! Maddy looked and sounded terrific. Loved that look that Randy and Simon exchanged.

Now, has somebody made a badge for us all to stick in our sidebars?

Posted by: Peony Moss | January 13, 2010 11:05 AM

Barbara, I'm just thrilled beyond words for you, for your family, and for Maddy. What a joy to see your child walking in her gift. What a joy to see all that your family represents-- God's love for children, adoption, and much more-- get a few minutes in the national spotlight. WHat a joy to hear the one judge comment that "Hallelujah" seemed sung from her heart. Indeed! Congratulations!

Posted by: Marian | January 13, 2010 11:09 AM

Wow! Congratulations! It must have been dreadful keeping such a big secret for such a long time. :-)

Posted by: Sarah | January 13, 2010 11:11 AM

Just had to say congratulations to Maddy! I was so excited to see her on last night. Felt like I was seeing a family I knew! I know it has to have been really exciting for all of you.

Posted by: Shelly | January 13, 2010 11:11 AM

"If I can offer one piece of advice to parents of young children, it's to support your children's dreams. No matter what the outcome, you will have wonderful memories and they will never forget how much you care."
This statement means so much to me today! I hear you!
GREATLY enjoyed Maddy last night and wanted to send my well wishes to you and your beautiful family!

Posted by: Stephanie | January 13, 2010 11:13 AM

I was so excited to see Maddy last night and hear her beautiful voice! Your family is wonderful - I have two grandchildren with Ds - one is 5 years old and the other my daughter just adopted from the Ukraine and she is 3. We will definitely be following your journey and routing for Maddy.

Special K's Grandma
Jackie Perkins

Posted by: Jackie | January 13, 2010 11:17 AM

Barbara,
I watched last night with bated breath and thought the piece was wonderful. Maddie has such a soulful voice. I pray that the world gets to hear more of it.
I have enjoyed your blog for many years as well as your books. Thanks for all your work with Mommy Patriots as well. You inspire me to greater things than I thought possible.
Blessings and Grace to you and yours!!

Posted by: Mary | January 13, 2010 11:20 AM

Maddy was wonderful last night! What a great witness, and so good to see her story on prime time TV. We'll be watching for her (I never let my kids watch Idol b/f because it took too much pre-screening time on my part, but we'll be watching now! Congratulations to your and your beautiful family for raising such a grace-filled, inspiring young woman!
Oh - and SOO glad you are back :)

Posted by: Danielle Murdock | January 13, 2010 11:32 AM

This is so, so wonderful, Barbara, but no surprise. We blog readers have been following Maddy's beautiful life and her winsome spirit for a while, and love her and her gorgeous voice -- may God bless her and make her a shining witness for His glory.

Posted by: mary kathryn | January 13, 2010 11:35 AM

What a nice surprise to see you back! I was going to email you to tell you what a radiant beauty Maddy is both inside and out.
Her descriptions about being in your unique family brought tears to my eyes too.

God bless Maddy and your entire family.

Posted by: kelly | January 13, 2010 11:37 AM

So proud of you and Maddy. Way to go!

Posted by: Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae | January 13, 2010 11:38 AM

Beautifully done, Maddy!

Posted by: Mary | January 13, 2010 11:40 AM

B - I tried looking here for older posts that contained video of Maddy singing. I don't know if you care to do this, but maybe it would be fun to have a category on your sidebar where readers could easily find video of Maddy's singing. It would be a pleasure to see the development of her voice over time.

Posted by: mary kathryn | January 13, 2010 11:46 AM

I watched the show with my girls and was dumbfounded when I heard the name from the kitchen. I went screaming into the living room going "I read her mom's blog!!!!!!" It was a GREAT segment and I *LOVED* her audition! She has a great voice and what a beautiful young lady! I pray she makes it through and you've increased the viewership on AI for this season! I'm actually going to enjoy watching now!

GO MADDY!!!!!!!! May God bless you throughout!!!

Posted by: Dirtdartwife | January 13, 2010 11:50 AM

Beautiful! Congratulations Maddy! What an amazing young woman you are.

Posted by: Jill | January 13, 2010 11:51 AM

Momma!!!

I've been grieving your absence!!! I came here every day to see if you were up again. I had a hole in my heart for all these days. I hope you never, ever have to do that again....you were greatly missed.

Maddy was an angel. I like what Simon said: "we get a lot of sixteen year olds here and you are not annoying".

If he only knew her life he would know that there is no room for her to be annoying....she's surrounded by beautiful people.

Please give her my love and support...and lots of hugs for you too!

I love you!!!!

Posted by: LadyLovas | January 13, 2010 12:03 PM

Congratulations!!!

Posted by: Paula in MN | January 13, 2010 12:15 PM

I cried when I saw her, Barbara. I always wondered if she could really sing or you were just a proud mom. I was so relieved she can sing!
Proud of her!

Posted by: Julana | January 13, 2010 12:22 PM

Ok, I've never faithfully watched AI or voted but this is one season I'm not going to miss!! YAY Maddy! No matter what happens, God has you in the palm of his hand!

Posted by: Janice | January 13, 2010 12:34 PM

Welcome back, Barbara!! I've missed you very much.

Congratulations Maddy!! I am a fan! I'll be watching and voting!!

Posted by: Sara | January 13, 2010 12:46 PM

The whole video brough tears to my eyes! To see such a loving family (who is obviously a big cut above the average American family), and to listen to Maddie sing from her heart was just Heavenly! She radiates true joy and beauty from within and so it makes her natural beauty even more so. Your family will continue to be in my prayers. Julie

Posted by: Julie | January 13, 2010 12:54 PM

Biggest congratulations to Maddy and your family. She certainly deserves success, with her beautiful voice and gracious attitude. I'll be watching and rooting for her. Go Maddy!

Her song made me cry - I'm still wiping tears away. And her sweetness as she accepted their praise...

What a pleasure to see a young person who is genuine and has such an interesting and kind spirit.

Posted by: Genevieve | January 13, 2010 12:57 PM

Barbara, I saw Maddy last night and she was wonderful! It was fun to see you too :). I look forward to following what happens next.

Posted by: Jeanette | January 13, 2010 1:11 PM

Yay, Maddy! Barbara, I recognized you right away from being on Glenn Beck. What an awesome story! As a mom of nine, it is always rewarding to see our children doing well, and Maddy had a wonderful performance!

Congratulations! :D

Posted by: tweetmum | January 13, 2010 1:13 PM

Barb, another thing that really struck me was when you were being interviewed, and the way your husband was looking at you - so much love and admiration! That was really evident! :D

Posted by: tweetmum | January 13, 2010 1:16 PM

I was wondering what happened to your content. So cool - congrats to your daughter. What an amazing thing for her, regardless of the outcome.

Posted by: becky | January 13, 2010 1:34 PM

We were watching last night, and I screamed, "Hey, I know her!" But I don't really know Maddy, of course, I just feel like I do after reading your blog for a few years. It was a great segment about your family. I can't wait to see the rest of the story! God bless you and your beautiful voice, Maddy!

Posted by: Leslie | January 13, 2010 1:41 PM

God bless Maddy! We are rooting for her to win, but more than that we are praying for her. We pray that she will remain true to herself and her to her God, and that He will walk with her as the world learns her name. We pray that He will protect her from evil, and give her every opportunity to let her light shine.

Thank you for raising Maddy to be a testimony to the world of a Christian family's love and care for their children.

Posted by: Amy R | January 13, 2010 1:44 PM

She did an amazing job. I'm so glad my children yelled at me from the other room to come watch! Maddy's comment at the end about seeing in colors vs. B&W was priceless. Tears in this family for sure! God bless you and your beautiful family. Such an inspiration and wonderful that AI featured Maddy and her brothers FIRST!

Posted by: Monica | January 13, 2010 1:45 PM

Barbara, she is beautiful and has the voice of an angel! Congratulations!

Posted by: Heather P. | January 13, 2010 1:50 PM

Way to go Maddy! And way to go Barbara, Trip and the whole family for supporting her! I can't wait to tell my kids... and we will be following her and cheering her on the whole way!

Posted by: LizinD.C. | January 13, 2010 1:59 PM

My heart is bursting with pride and happiness for you all!

Posted by: Michele Mom of 8 | January 13, 2010 2:02 PM

Wonderful!
I never cared to watch AI, but I will watch this season and cheer Maddy on!!!!

Posted by: gracee | January 13, 2010 2:04 PM

Barbara, Tears streamed down my face as I listened and watched Maddy sing last night. Glorious and praises to our God!

Posted by: Jawan | January 13, 2010 2:27 PM

Whoopee!! Barbara's back and Maddy's singing is AWESOME!!!

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | January 13, 2010 2:27 PM

As I watched this video that a friend had linked on her blog, my heart was filled with pride and awe for your daughter. She is beyond amazing but I have to admit it is her personality that moved me the most.
God is just beaming through her!
We adopted a little boy last year with Ds so that our son would have someone who wouldn't outgrow him :) Watching your daughter with her brothers feels like looking thru time and seeing what my kids will be like together. Thank you so much for that :) You have a very beautiful family BTW.
Mandy

Posted by: Mandy | January 13, 2010 2:41 PM

Honestly, I teared up as I watched Maddie sing. After last year I really didn't care one way or another if I watched AI again.

Maddie didn't disappoint me either. I have watched her Youtube videos when you would post them. I knew she could sing and figured she probably made it through anyway. What caught me was how sweet she looked when discussing her brothers. And Jonny was awesome! He is so full of life. How can you not believe in a wonderful creator after seeing what joy there is coming from your children, not just the DS but all of them.

I'll be praying for Maddie and all of you.

Posted by: Ouida Gabriel | January 13, 2010 3:03 PM

I have missed you! I had no idea this was going on. Congratulations to Maddy and to your entire family. Those short clips sure do show the love.

I'm not a fan of AI at all, but I have to say this is pretty cool.

Posted by: cam | January 13, 2010 3:05 PM

I already emailed you but wanted to say YAY!!! You're back!! and SUPER YAY for Maddie - she was amazing last night and I'm so excited for her. I was beaming with pride for your whole family. :)

Posted by: Laura | January 13, 2010 3:19 PM

Hi Barbara,
I am Abby Middleton's mom. We are so pleased for Maddy. I can only imagine how "serial" this experience has been for all of you. Honestly, I couldn't sleep last night after watching her. It feels like I'm watching one of my own kids up there. She was so poised, sweet, genuine and true to herself. I have emailed everyone I know to tell them about Maddy. Her talent is supported by her fabulous faith. I truly hope her dreams come true.
We had a fun morning. Suzanne Draskovic came over to watch the video with me. We may make this our standing date for as long as she keeps going. :)
Best of luck, Polly

Posted by: Polly Middleton | January 13, 2010 3:45 PM

Authenticity is a pearl of great price - and a special gift Maddy brings to her singing. You are a beautiful family and brought tears to my eyes.

Posted by: Judy | January 13, 2010 3:52 PM

As a mother of 4---including an amazing little guy with Down syndrome---and being in the process of adopting another child with Down syndrome, I have to say that Maddy was a beautiful spokesperson for family members of children with Down syndrome!

And your girl can SING!!! Go Maddy!!!

Posted by: ashleypmo | January 13, 2010 3:52 PM

We don't have cable and I was thrilled to find a recap on their website and then to see that you blogged and gave ME an even better video. She sounded great and it was a pleasure to watch and see the joy on her face!!!

Can't wait to hear more about what happened in Hollywood!

Posted by: Melissa | January 13, 2010 3:56 PM

This was so exciting to hear on the google updates. I don't watch the show, never have. BUT that's changing now. Maddy has a fantastic voice and such poise. Regardless the outcome she is a talent - too good for american idol.

Posted by: Barb | January 13, 2010 3:59 PM

Congratulations to Maddy! I'm so happy for all of you. She is a great singer.

Posted by: Lynn | January 13, 2010 4:17 PM

i was just realizing today that you hadn't been popping up in my google reader. congratulations to your daughter. she has such a beautiful voice. what a beautiful family!

Posted by: christine | January 13, 2010 4:25 PM

GO Maddy!!!!! You are beautiful and we will be rooting for you.

Posted by: Mary Ellen Barrett | January 13, 2010 4:34 PM

You all aren't coming back because she got kicked off or voted out already did you? :( Please say no! I'm hoping that she goes farther!

Posted by: Kaitlin | January 13, 2010 4:39 PM

Hooray for Maddy, what a beautiful voice! The Lord has certainly shown what gift He gave to Maddy!! How proud you must be of her as a person, she has a wonderful personality and showed a wonderful example of just how "typical" our kids with DS can be. She could have shared anything about herself, yet she shared about her relationship with her "special" brothers. That speaks volumes!!!

Posted by: June | January 13, 2010 4:50 PM

I wondered if this was why you took the blog down. We were SO proud of Maddy last night! And Katherine enjoyed watching the clip online today. We are excited to see what opportunities God will bring to Maddy through this.

Posted by: Becky Miller | January 13, 2010 5:14 PM

Congrats! Hope she does well!

Posted by: Katie (aka Kekibird) | January 13, 2010 5:28 PM

Barbara, of course I just had to pass along to many of my friends that link to Maddy and "brag" on her. lol

One of them responded already and asked me to tell you how touched she was by your family story and that you will be in her prayers. (she actually had to go to the dishwasher so that no one would see her cry.)

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | January 13, 2010 5:32 PM

i am a biggest loser fan. but i flipped back and forth b/n AI and BL. and caught the tail end of maddy. she's great. and more so...the story is great!! so excited for your family!! how fun!! and i could not imagine having to keep everything QUIET!! lol.

Posted by: amanda | January 13, 2010 5:59 PM

I was so excited to see her on AI last night! She has a beautiful voice!!!

Posted by: Angela | January 13, 2010 6:13 PM

that is so AWESOME! I'll have to tune in and watch now.

Posted by: Susanna | January 13, 2010 6:22 PM

with chills and tears streaming down my face i write you this thank you barbara. for letting maddy shine her light on the world...she has the voice of an angel. God is good. and i hope-if it is HIS will-that she WINS!

Posted by: regan | January 13, 2010 6:26 PM

YEAH!!!! Way to go Maddy!! She has a beautiful voice!! So exciting!!

Posted by: Felecia | January 13, 2010 6:32 PM

Very well done Mom and Dad. You are the BEST parents in the world. Hugs!

Posted by: e-Mom | January 13, 2010 6:44 PM

Hi,
We were watching last night and apart from being impressed with your daughter's voice, I was just so touched to see your family and it's story. In a time when so many down syndrome babies are never given the chance at life, it was a blessing and heartbreaking at the same time to see your sweet babies living such good lives. How brave and selfless of your family to adopt two special needs children when most people throw them away before they are even born. My husband has remarked that he loves seeing families with DS kids because the kids almost always seem like the most precious and sweet people.

Right now I'm 11 weeks pregnant with our second child (we also have a 10 month old) so my hormones are running high! And I was barely keeping it together watching your kids playing together. Thanks for showing the entire country the love of God you have shown in adopting your kids just as we were adopted by him.

I just found out that I actually know some people who were in a Christmas program with your kids. Small world! We are in Ashburn VA.

Posted by: Tara | January 13, 2010 7:03 PM

Yay! I'm so happy for Maddy and your family! And so excited for this season of American Idol!

Posted by: Addie | January 13, 2010 7:12 PM

Maddy was awesome! Your family is incredible! Congratulations on all her accomplishments, especially on her being such an inspiring and amazing person. I bawled the whole time yall were on.
Mary Beth, cousin of Charlie, who sees life in colors.

Posted by: Mary Beth | January 13, 2010 7:30 PM

I just called my children to watch the video and they were sooo excited. Some of them were on the Christmas float and enjoyed listening to Maddy's beautiful singing all through the ride. We usually don't watch AI but we will definitely be tuning this season! Congratulations Maddy!

Posted by: Samantha | January 13, 2010 7:40 PM

I loved when Kara called Maddy "authentic." Perfect word for Maddy. We are just so excited about this season because of Maddy's involvement in the show. It is going to be so wonderful to see how God witnesses to America through his precious daughter, Maddy Curtis!

So happy you're back, Barbara!

Posted by: Mary | January 13, 2010 7:42 PM

AWESOME! Not only is she "not annoying", she is Amazing!! What a beautiful voice and a beautiful soul! Go all the way Maddie!

Posted by: Anne | January 13, 2010 7:47 PM

Congratulations, Maddy! I'm so happy for you all! :)

Posted by: Michelle Potter | January 13, 2010 7:53 PM

Dear Barbara, Tears were in my eyes as I watched Maddy sing. She is a beautiful girl and I wish her all the best! How exciting to think that I "know" one of the contestant.

Posted by: Laura | January 13, 2010 8:08 PM

Oh Barbara, that is so amazing! I *thought* she did well at the auditions, having heard her sing and I remember you suddenly shutting down all AI talk on your blog! I told my husband she must have gotten selected!

Congratulations to Maddy!

Posted by: Milehimama | January 13, 2010 8:17 PM

Go Maddy! So excited. What a witness she will be!

Posted by: Shelley | January 13, 2010 8:26 PM

Barbara-Maddy is mentioned on the TVGuide website as a standout.

Posted by: Heather P. | January 13, 2010 8:38 PM

Hi Barbara,

So glad you are back up and running! I figured it had something to do with AI, but you were missed!

Watched the clip of Maddy and she was just so wonderful. Such a sweet, lovely young lady with such a beautiful voice. I just knew the judges would love her! I am very excited and happy for her. In fact, you all looked great on T.V.! Congratulations Maddy!

Posted by: Donna | January 13, 2010 8:43 PM

The best part was Simon telling Maddy that she wasn't like all the other anoying 16 year olds. I couldn't agree more! Love from your fans in Utah!

Posted by: Polly | January 13, 2010 8:48 PM

I loved watching Maddy! She did great, and it was great seeing some of the Curtis clan on TV.

Posted by: Lauren | January 13, 2010 9:06 PM

Dear Barbara,
So, I watched American Idol and discovered a long-lost cousin!

I am trying to find an e mail address for you; would love to say hi, and congratulations on your beautiful--and talented--family.

Denise, (Leo's daughter)

Posted by: Denise McDermott Dunleavy | January 13, 2010 9:29 PM

Oh, this was absolutely thrilling to see Maddie on national tv! She is a beautiful girl and I hope her fresh, natural personality continues to shine in Hollywood.

All of us who have read Mommy Life for so long feel like we know her.

Posted by: Meredith | January 13, 2010 9:36 PM

What a respectful young woman - well done!

Posted by: Elena | January 13, 2010 9:37 PM

I was watching last night, but missed the first part of her introduction. I came in at the part about her brothers, and then her name came up when she began to sing. I kept elbowing my husband, saying,"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I think that's...Barbara Curtis' daughter!" It was so exciting for me, I can't imagine how you all are feeling! Oh, and what talent she has! Congratulations to all of you - we'll be rooting for her!

Posted by: Susie | January 13, 2010 9:47 PM

Congratulations to Maddy. She has a beautiful voice and she is a beautiful girl. She glows. :)

Posted by: Lisa | January 13, 2010 9:58 PM

Barbara, I was wondering about your hiatus from Mommy Life, I'm so glad there was a happy cause for it. This video made me cry, so happy for Maddy and for the joy this has brought to your family!

Posted by: Nelda | January 13, 2010 9:59 PM

Wow, congratulations. Could a parent recieve a better complement than for Simon to say their teen is not annoying:-)

Posted by: Melanie | January 13, 2010 10:12 PM

I was the third one to join the Support Maddy page on FB :). You both have one TRULY special person there Mom. Kudos to you and her father and the rest of the family for doing such a great job of raising her to be just that. Good luck and God Bless

Posted by: Karen | January 13, 2010 11:02 PM

Maddy has a lovely voice and a real sweetness about her. Such a happy kid...you clearly did a great job.

I saw her audition live and was so excited! If she makes it to top 20 I'll be spending a lot of time voting!

Posted by: paigeu | January 13, 2010 11:08 PM

So glad that you are back and where gone for such a wonderful reason. Maddy was spectacular but I guess you already know that. I love that she has this rare opportunity and that her brothers were there to share it with her. Welcome back to blog world.

Posted by: Elaine Robertson | January 13, 2010 11:09 PM

wow how awesome, Congrats!!!!
We will be rooting for you!

GOD bless!

Posted by: mm | January 14, 2010 12:00 AM

Wow! So happy for her! We are big fans of Simon around here and he looked so very pleased!

Posted by: My Boys' Teacher | January 14, 2010 12:04 AM

lovely, lovely lovely!

Posted by: maddie | January 14, 2010 12:05 AM

I am so excited! I feel like I know your family, and so I am so proud ofher!

Leslie

Posted by: Leslie | January 14, 2010 1:02 AM

We saw it! Then found your blog down. Now we know the rest of the story. Go, Maddy!

Posted by: Steve Scott | January 14, 2010 2:06 AM

Awesome job, Maddy! It's great that they could sense the passion behind your song.

"For 16, you're not annoying"??? Hey, it's Simon. Whaddaya expect? ;)

Posted by: Rachel | January 14, 2010 3:00 AM

I said some extra prayers for Maddy, you , & the family yesterday when it hit me how much your lives just changed overnight. Emotional roller coaster ride for sure! What a comfort that you all have such a strong faith to sustain you through such exciting but potentially overwhelming times! Peace ~ Donica

Posted by: Donica | January 14, 2010 8:45 AM

I am so glad to see you back! I thought so strange you had closed your blog down temporarily. Now I understand. :)

I missed the first part of AI last night. Only saw the Atlanta auditions. I was going to drop AI this season, but now I will be watching and praying for Maddy.

so good to see your family on TV and Maddy has a sweet voice. I am glad the judges were able to see through her nervousness and see the Light that is in her!!!

Congratulations!!!

Posted by: tereza crump AKA MyTreasuredCreations | January 14, 2010 9:43 AM

Oh, I have tears in my eyes! A friend posted on her facebook page about Maddy, so I had to come over here to see what was up and watch the clip. Beautiful and exciting!!

Posted by: Amanda Fowle | January 14, 2010 10:25 AM

WOW. Blown away and in tears! How very very proud you must be of your girl.. not just for her singing voice which is a blessed gift from above.. but her poise and grace and heart which just shines through. I will be watching with great interest.

Posted by: Rhonda S | January 14, 2010 10:51 AM

I watched Maddy's audition in the UK last night, what a fantastic voice and a lovely family.

Good Luck for the rest of the show.

Posted by: Dean Midas Maynard | January 14, 2010 11:34 AM

How awesome! All the glory to HIM. How proud you both must be to witness your daughter using her gifts for His glory. Love the exposure. May God continue to pour out His blessings to you all.

Posted by: Lisa Shay | January 14, 2010 12:02 PM

Barbara, our family saw Maddy on AI the other night. Not only does she have an outstanding voice...she's has a precious spirit about her! Regardless of what the outcome is, I know Maddy has a very positive future ahead of her!

God bless!

Diane

Posted by: Diane | January 14, 2010 12:22 PM

Barbara, Maddy was wonderful! Our family is cheering for her in California. It was great to see you and the boys on AI, too. You have a remarkable family. There's no hiding the Curtis Family's light under a bushel. Shine on.

Gratefully,

Beth

Posted by: Elizabeth M. Thompson | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM

Just wanted to add my CONGRATULATIONS to Maddy and to all of your family! What an awesome audition and I'm so happy she is moving on.

Posted by: Miriam | January 14, 2010 2:58 PM

Barbara - Wow. First off, I want to tell you that I'm a singer - I've been doing it since I was in 7th grade & I'm 41 now, so I speak from a small base of knowledge here.
Maddy is extremely talented and probably the most unique thing I see about her is her presence. She's grounded, centered, confident without being cocky, and she knows who she is. Her voice is simply pure and simple - no ridiculous Mariah Carey-ish vocal gymnastics or "look what I can do" about it. I'm so glad to see the judges recognized something special and unique and talented about her.
I know you & Tripp are so proud of her and you should be. If my daughter, Maggie, ever accomplishes what Maddy is doing with her voice, I'm sure I'll be ready to burst!
I also have a boy with Down Syndrome, Henry, and it was BEAUTIFUL and brilliant to see the piece about your family and how very much those boys love Maddy & vice versa. To see Jonny & Justin dancing and squealing around when Maddy came out was such a blessing. And Ryan is one lucky guy to get such a hug from Jonny! I pray that my Maggie & Henry have opportunities to support & be there for each other like I saw on AI.
May God continue to bless your family & allow you to share those blessings with all of us! You are an encouragement to me, that's for sure!

Posted by: Christy | January 14, 2010 3:03 PM

Wow Maddy!!!!!!

I don't usually follow American Idol but of course I had to watch this segment on the internet.

I had a tears in my eyes when it finished!

Well done Maddy! Looks like I may be following this series of American Idol when it shows in NZ (ok, when I know you are on!).

All the best!!!!!!!!1

Cheers, Wilm in NZ

Posted by: Wilma | January 14, 2010 3:17 PM

This is my first time here. I am a mom to 10 kids... we saw your daughter on AI the other night. Your family is SO beautiful and she is SO talented. It brought tears to my eyes!!!!

Posted by: courtney | January 14, 2010 3:19 PM

Congratulations to your daughter. What a beautiful soul she is! I hope she makes it far. And I'm really glad I found your blog - you're RIGHT on girl!!! Congratulations on whatever God has planned for Maddy! :)

Posted by: MB | January 14, 2010 4:15 PM

My girls were ready with posters when the show began and they were soo excited for Maddy , she has a beautiful voice and a beautiful person. We will be watching any and all future shows that she is on, but I can't wait to see her life with or without AI.

Posted by: karen | January 14, 2010 4:18 PM

Wow, 100 comments already!
I have watched this a number of times with my family, she has got such a lovely voice and a lovely presence too. She comes across as very natural and unspoilt, which is no surprise to me.

I'm loving some of the youtube comments:

"That's amazing! This clip is now doing the rounds in the UK so we'll all have to start watching. Maddy's brother's are fab too - I have a son with DS and like Maddie, it's never held my other kids back - just made them "less annoying"!"

"What a fantastic clip I've posted this around the UK as I just think that not only is it raising awareness about Downssyndrome it also goes to show that it makes this girl a better person for it and as a mom who has a daughter with DS this is all I ask for her siblings that they will be better people because of her"

"Maddy may just be the reason I choose to watch AI this year! I have been so disappointed with the changes. Maddy reminds me of the real reason this show is great!"

Posted by: Clare | January 14, 2010 4:38 PM

I never really follow AI, but my 9yo daughter was watching and I walked by to hear a sweet 16yo girl's voice. Wow! I didn't know that was your daughter until today on a msg board I'm on someone mentioned she was on AI. I was sad I'd missed it, until I came by here and saw the video you posted. The only AI audition I saw this season so far -- well, that and about 10 seconds of Pants on the Ground -- and it happened to be your daughter. Maddy did wonderful, and no matter how much further she goes in the competition, she should know that she has a beautiful voice and a sweet spirit that shone through so clearly in her 5 minutes! Also, that she sang so genuinely really inspired my 9yo, who also sings.

Posted by: Gem | January 14, 2010 4:58 PM

Searching for information on Maddy, I came by your page. I'm just one of the millions watching Idol for season 9.

It was interesting that they started the entire season with Maddy. After seeing and hearing her audition, the rest of the two nights seemed rather lackluster. That's not to say there wasn't a lot of talent, but in comparison to Maddy, I just kept saying things like, "Yeah, they were pretty good but I wasn't as impressed with them like that sixteen year-old that started out the season."

Posted by: Mike Richardson | January 14, 2010 5:17 PM

Beautiful, just beautiful. We were all jumping up and down here last night after I checked to see if your blog was back up yet and saw this post. We just knew it! I told dh we might actually have to buy a TV ;-).

Posted by: Kimberly | January 14, 2010 6:00 PM

Barb, I am so proud of Maddie!
Bella my 12 year old was sick in bed watching Idol, and was thrilled to hear about your family, ran and told me and then I KNEW it was one of your kids.
You are such a witness to life just being you; a wonderful Catholic pro-life mom. Who happens to be a fabulous mom.
Now you'll be known as "Maddie's Mom".

Posted by: Leticia Velasquez | January 14, 2010 6:12 PM

Could not be MORE happy!
She is beautiful! I love that song.
Oh Barbara,
You must be so proud.
Congrats!
(We will be watching and I'm posting this on my fb page)
Shannon in Austin

Posted by: Shannon Best | January 14, 2010 6:37 PM

Just beautiful! All of it. I am all teary. Congratulations, Maddie!!! I really appreciate getting to see it all here on your blog, since we don't get AI over here in Japan!

Posted by: Sue | January 14, 2010 6:56 PM

Wow! You SHOULD be so proud. Lovely girl, with a lovely voice!

Posted by: Jacqueline | January 14, 2010 7:29 PM

Yay! I thought I recognized you from your profile pic! I'm a Maddie fan :)

Posted by: Amanda - VintageDutchGirl | January 14, 2010 7:46 PM

I didn't read the rest of the comments, but wanted to tell you that after watching Maddy's Youtube video, I was crying. I've been a lurker on your blog for years so I felt like I "knew" her--like she was a friend's daughter! I felt such pride watching her sing. Thank you for welcoming us all as friends to your life!!

Posted by: Deborah | January 14, 2010 11:41 PM

Oh Barbara,
This makes me very happy.

Posted by: tracie Loux | January 15, 2010 12:29 AM

I had no idea Maddy was auditioning--I have been only a sporadic reader, bingeing on your archives,usually!--and what a delightful shock it was to recognize your family! (My teenagers were so impressed that I "knew" Maddy and her family. :)

I blogged about it here: http://atahenspace.blogspot.com/2010/01/american-idol-id.html

Blessings, Maddy!!

~Jeanne

Posted by: At A Hen's Pace | January 15, 2010 12:36 AM

Maddy, you were beautiful! I am a singer myself and know how hard and nervwracking it can be to get up and sing in front of people! You were great!

Posted by: sierra white | January 15, 2010 9:43 AM

Thanks for the update. It was great to see her on AI and know that we're still praying for her. Blessings.

Posted by: Pam | January 15, 2010 3:47 PM

Hi Barbara,

I have been reading your blog for... I don't know, years! But I have never commented before. I just wanted to let you know this made me so happy yesterday, and I am so pleased it happened to your family. We are surrounded by doom and gloom these days, but wonderful things still happen too! Thank you so much for all of the time and effort that you put into this blog, and for lighting the way for all of us "beginner-mums" (sorry, I can't "do" American English :)). I certainly have gleaned a lot of insight and encouragement from your blog and books.

Blessings,
Helen in France

Posted by: Helen | January 15, 2010 6:41 PM

Oh Barbara this is wonderful! I absolutely loved the video. It was so exciting to hear Maddy sing and also to see and hear YOU! Just wonderful! I haven't been watching AI...now I have a reason to take it up again. :) Fun!

Posted by: Angela | January 15, 2010 6:45 PM

BARBARA!!!!!!!! I was catching up on my DVR before dinner, and I watched the AI show from Tues. I knew it was your family before they showed you. When Maddy said she was one of 12, and I saw her little brother, I had this FEELING, and before I said something to my husband, you were on camera!

Maddy represented your family so beautifully. You must be incredibly proud.

That song is one of my favorites, and she performed it effortlessly. I can't wait to see how far she goes in the competition. I always watch AI, and I usually blog the shows, once they get to the final 20. I'm so excited for this season now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Musings of a Housewife | January 15, 2010 7:58 PM

so, so excited for you. what a beautiful daughter and a beautiful voice and a beautiful family!

Posted by: beverly | January 15, 2010 10:20 PM

Wow! I'm so thrilled for y'all! Maddy has an amazing voice. Glad your blog is back up and running. You were missed.

Posted by: 50s Housewife | January 15, 2010 11:11 PM

Please share with Maddy our congratulations. My son Andrew enjoyed singing along with her as we watched the video.
Andrew is 18 years old and has Down syndrome. We love watching American Idol and we will definitely support her on her journey.
Karen Pickle (Andrew's mom)

Posted by: Karen Pickle | January 15, 2010 11:48 PM

Maddy was so poised and mature! I hope that when I have children, I do as well as you in raising them. Congrats to you for great mommying and Congrats to Maddy on her success!

Posted by: Anon | January 16, 2010 12:07 AM

Maddy has a beautiful voice. As we watched her story it brought tears to our eyes (my daughter & me)to see such amazing young lady and sister.

We'll be watching.

Posted by: Tammy | January 16, 2010 5:24 PM

I know this comment will probably get lost in the sea of well wishers; but I thought I would leave it anyway. Maddie you are one super special girl. I know that my facebook and down syndrome friends are all excited about you and can't wait to cheer you on--- heck I've even joined the fan of Maddie facebook group; but, I wanted to tell you that you would have our vote no matter who your sibilings are. It was beautiful that you showed your love and support for your brothers and that was definately a teary moment at our house too. I guess what I really wanted to say is Maddie, you are a beautiful girl inside and out. Your voice is like an angel and your goodness shines from your eyes. You deserve great things- Good luck to you girl... we are all rooting for you :)

Posted by: karimomtofourgirls | January 16, 2010 11:17 PM

Blessings and Congratulations from one Loudoun Mommy to another! I have found you to be such a support Barbara full of wise counsel and faith that shines through. So wonderful that your daughter is going to share that Spirit with others with her gifts that are being embraced on American Idol!

Posted by: msafire | January 17, 2010 1:41 PM

So so happy to see Maddy! She was wonderful and my husband claimed her as his favorite so far! I wrote a note to you on AsAMom but as I can see now, you have probably gotten TONS of responses from the many that know you from your blog, Glenn Beck's show, AAM, etc. I'm one of many, but I just had to tell you how great it was to see her talent.

God is working through people like you and her! I pray that Maddy goes far in the competition because she will be an inspiration to all who see her. He is in control and will definitely being using her touch people!

We're praying for you all!

Posted by: G8rMom7 | January 17, 2010 4:48 PM

Maddy, you were AWESOME!!! Simon liked what you did and how you presented yourself. A little bit into the song, when Randy looked over at Simon, and then the look they gave each other.....well, they see something awesome there.

Barbara, I HAVE MISSED YOU!!!

I have prayed for your whole family daily: that you and Maddy would have fun and just be who you are--all while others might get glimpes of God in and through you; for Tripp and the boys back home--that they would be stress free and enjoy each other.

I know you've been so busy, so I'm just now getting in touch....I am looking forward to seeing and hearing about your adventure (when you can) and continuing to see and hear your "spin" on the things happening in the world.

Posted by: von | January 17, 2010 10:32 PM

I am a huge fan of AI. I was over at Musings of a Housewife and read about your sweet Maddy. I watched her audition and cheered for her, and for your entire family. I can't wait to find out about Maddy's week in Hollywood. You are blessed, no matter what the outcome. =)

Posted by: Julie From Inmates | January 17, 2010 10:45 PM

CONGRATULATIONS to Maddy!! She did wonderfully!!

And congratulations to you on raising such a talented, poised, beautiful young lady. :)

Posted by: Margaret | January 18, 2010 12:26 PM

I watched American Idol (in the UK) last week and Maddy stood out as a beautiful young woman from a beautiful family, with a beautiful voice and a beautiful heart. The clip about her, with her parents and brothers present (including the clip of her brother giving Ryan Seacrest a hug) was an exceptional TV moment. God bless her and all your family.

Posted by: Dominic | January 18, 2010 12:32 PM

Ohhhh Barbara,

I haven't been to your blog in quite a while, until week or so and it was down. Checked in today on a whim...and wow!!! I'm so happy for you and Maddy. I got a bit teary thinking of all the posts I have read in years past of you supporting your kiddos in following their dreams. Congrats, you are a doing a wonderful job and your family is blessed. Congrats Maddy!!! Your voice is AMAZING!

Posted by: Karen | January 19, 2010 4:31 PM

What a lovely girl you've raised -- and what a voice! I hope she wins.

Posted by: Steph | January 20, 2010 8:47 PM

I just read the announcement on the BlogHer Ads newsletter that your daughter was on American Idol (I've never been to your blog before). I immediately came over to see if she was someone I remembered from the show. And she was! How can anyone forget such a lovely girl. You should be beyond proud!

Posted by: colleen | January 20, 2010 8:49 PM

I'm in freaking tears!
She is a winner!
Beautiful inside and out! :)

Posted by: Pineapple Princess | January 21, 2010 1:18 AM

Oh, I forgot to add...

Your book, Lord, Please Meet Me In the Laundry Room, is the best book I have ever read. I've read it at least 7 times, plus I had my Women's Group read it together. They LOVED it!

You gave me the courage to adopt!
How do I say thanks?

Posted by: Pineapple Princess | January 21, 2010 1:23 AM

Whoa! First I would like to express my gratitude for what you have done with your family. You truly are a wonderful child of God.

Next- Your girl can sing.. I am impressed with her singing and morely I was impressed the way she carries herself and how respectful she was on the show. Another special child of God.

Now finally, this is the first time I have come over to your blog. I love it, and if you don't mind I will be back, not because of your daughter, but because I would love to learn from you. Devri

Posted by: Devri Naulu | January 21, 2010 12:59 PM

Hello,

Thank you so much for being so PRO-LIFE!!! I do not care much for AI but do respect the talent on the show. I know your daughter is going to go as far as God wants her to.

I know Maddy will be protected under the shade of God's wings throughout. It is refreshing to hear about your families Catholic faith! In many ways Maddy is a symbol, or better yet, an example of God's goodness in the world and in our country. God bless you all!

P.S. Maddy has been in my prayers in regard to this show. I would love to see her win!

Posted by: Zachary Enes | February 8, 2010 10:08 AM

Don't let it bring you down. Keep working. From this record producer it IS great to see honestly in the world. Cheers.

Posted by: tom lewis | February 10, 2010 6:28 PM

So proud of you and your daughter. I have a 4 year old son, who is typical and a 14 month old son diagnosed with Down syndrome. We are so blessed and I am grateful to you and Maddy for bringing DS awareness to all Idol watchers and obviously many more...Good luck and God bless you in all your future endeavors.

Posted by: Traci LaGanke | February 11, 2010 12:14 AM

Barbara,
Thank you for introducing me to your family at chuch Saturday March 13. You blessed me very deeply. It was a pleasure meeting every one. Your boys especially touched my heart. Thank you always for your family's example of love and compassion.
God bless you always,