January 27, 2010 9:01 AM

No tie shoelaces, lock laces, curly laces for kids

For kids with developmental challenges - like my four boys with Down syndrome - moms are always looking for ways to help them be more independent.

Jonny is now tying his shoes. Daniel is learning. Jesse currently just can't seem to focus on the intricacies involved. Justin is ready to learn, but learning will take a long time.

Shoes with velcro closures are hard to come by in larger sizes, and seem to offer less foot/arch support.

I may be late to the party, but I'm thinking it's time to try some of these alternatives. Anyone have experience or recommendations?

Posted in Disabilities | Permalink

Comments

my husband loved his yankz! We might have a pair around here still we don't use and if my husband agrees, I could send them to you, Barbara.

I'm amazed every day at just HOW independent my kids are at 4 & 3.

Posted by: JenS | January 27, 2010 10:30 AM

I've used the curly ones and they work fabulous. Riley likes things TIGHT, so I was able to pull them tight enough for his liking. They lasted as long as the shoes did. What ever you get, I would recommend getting multiple pairs in case the need for a back up arises.

Posted by: Margaret | January 27, 2010 10:31 AM

The elastic laces for running shoes are awesome and so easy to use. Your feet just slip right in and if you want the shoe tight you push the button and pull the laces as tight as you want them! Didnt even think they would be great for special needs! Great idea! Ill have to pass that info on to some friends!

Posted by: Megan | January 27, 2010 12:21 PM

LL Bean sells these shoes that don't need to be tied. My very capable 8 and 10-year-olds don't have the patience to tie, and are very happy with this style.

Merrell® Chameleon 3 Stretch Trail Shoe

Looks like these are available on Amazon, too!

Posted by: Joy | January 27, 2010 12:22 PM

Call Yankz and ask if they'll fit your childrens' shoe sizes; I got some for my size "one" seven year old and they just didn't work well; however they're a great concept and I'd like it if they'd add an appropriate version for smaller shoes to their product line. I'll be trying out the elastic shoe laces, thanks for linking to those.

Posted by: athena | January 27, 2010 1:33 PM

I have used the curly laces before and they worked great. That was over 10 years ago.

Posted by: CourageousGrace | January 27, 2010 11:17 PM

Lock Laces! Easy to use, can be adjusted for length needed, and my son can do it independently. I ordered directly from the company and they were prompt in delivery.

Posted by: Karen | January 28, 2010 7:55 AM

We've been using the Lock Laces for the past couple years. I actually found them because of your post about tying shoes a while back that had a link to Ian's Shoelace site. The downside to those is that they're not easily re-usable in another pair of shoes.

Posted by: Susan M | January 28, 2010 9:53 AM

We didn't have much success with the curly laces. maybe we bought the cheap kind, or maybe they have improved in the last 12 years
Mrs N

Posted by: MrsNehemiah | January 28, 2010 1:33 PM

I just got an e-mail this morning from Lock Laces. You can use the code "repeat" to get $1 off each pair. That makes them $3.99/pair at www.locklaces.com The e-mail said "Feel free to give this code to your family and friends as well so that they may receive the discount too for knowing such a cool person like you!" lol

Posted by: Susan M | February 15, 2010 5:05 PM

There is a new device that some autistic kids use called lace-amatic that allows them to easily get in or out of knotted shoes with a flick of a finger. It's really made for teens & adults for walking & running shoes.
It doesn't fit for kids under the age of eight. It can be seen at www.lace-amatic.com

Posted by: Julie | April 25, 2010 1:00 AM

Shoe Laces And More sells curly shoelaces for $2.49. When you pay with Google Checkout you can use promo code 15OFF for orders of $10 or over before shipping.

Posted by: Paula | August 21, 2010 2:36 PM

If you bought curly laces made overseas, they are of poor quality. You need American made laces. Our laces are 100% American made. You may purchase them in our online store at www.installitllc.com, then click on MARKETPLACE.

Posted by: Gregg A | October 8, 2010 3:48 PM

I came across these and they worked great for our kids. Synch Bands - synchbands.com

The kids liked how they looked like normal shoelaces but they were stretchy and were adjustable.

Posted by: Donovan | April 2, 2012 7:55 PM