November 1, 2011 10:41 AM

Hepatitis B - adverse reaction claimed Ian's life

iam gromoski.jpg
I know this is shocking, but imagine how it felt to be Ian Gromowski's parents, watching him die from a reaction to his Hepatitis B vaccine.

This picture was taken on Day 9.  Ian died 6 days later.

You can read his story and find out more about the pros and cons of vaccines at the site his parents have set up to help other failies:

Ian's Voice

Read all my entries on Vaccines.

Posted in Vaccines | Permalink

Comments

My heart goes out to the family for their loss. How horrible to lose your newborn like that.

However, the fact that he had MAS at birth and a fever at the time of vaccination makes me wonder if his death was a result of poor management of MAS. My daughter had thick meconium in her waters and a NICU stay. They gave her antibiotics as a precautionary measure. The doctors said that things can go from fine to horrible very quickly with newborns and that they'd rather she receive antibiotics she didn't need than to wait to see if she needed it and have it be too late.

The fact that Ian had a fever *at all* should have alerted the NICU doctors that he was not well *before* the shot. A fever in a newborn is not normal and likely shows that he had an infection from MAS.

Posted by: silver | November 1, 2011 11:17 AM

Oh my gosh, that's horrible! I'm praying.

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | November 1, 2011 12:27 PM

Beyond sad for such a worthless vaccine.

Posted by: Michelle | November 1, 2011 1:42 PM

As hard as this is to watch/read, it make me feel better knowing I had skipped the HepB shot at birth for my last child and will again with this child. My third child had four doses of the HepB because the clinic we moved to when she was 11 days old didn't understand that she had already gotten the HepB shot at birth and they wouldn't take my word for it because my baby was born in a different state. And when I denied my most recent baby getting the vax at birth, I had a nurse turn really rude on me and accused me of putting my child at risk for death from HepB. She was YELLING at me while I was in the throes of severe contractions! Parents have to do their research. Really do their research.

Posted by: Dirtdartwife | November 1, 2011 3:42 PM

Yes, I believe this shot was the one they offered within minutes of the birth of my youngest kiddo.
I refused it, and remember thinking how strange it was...

Oh, these poor dear parents!

Posted by: Lisa | November 1, 2011 5:08 PM

Oh dear,

I bawled as I read Ian's story. I was so upset that my own baby noticed it and held onto me, looking at me with her brows furrowed. Neither of my children had any adverse reactions to any of their vaccinations and I think it's important for children to be vaccinated against some of the worst diseases (polio, measles, tetanus, etc.), but I'm up in the air about some of the others like chicken pox, and HepB. And I absolutely refuse the flu shot.

Every time someone in my family has received any flu shot they end up GETTING the flu. No shot, no flu. I have never had it and am not subjecting my children to it, especially since it covers something like 4 out of dozens of strains. I'd rather just deal with the flu.

Anyway, thanks for posting this story. It definitely makes one think hard about vacs. Those dear parents, oh my heart aches for them and their poor sweet brave little boy.

Posted by: Courageous Grace | November 2, 2011 5:27 PM

I agree with you about the flu shot. No one in our family has ever gotten one and we've never had anything I would identify as a terrible bout of flu.

Then when my son Zachary was out on his own he went for a physical and got a flu shot. He never noticed we hadn't gotten them, I guess. Or maybe he wanted to do something independent.

Anyway, sure enough, he got a bad case of flu that winter,

Posted by: Barbara | November 2, 2011 7:04 PM

Prayers for this family. I do vaccinate my children, but am always so afraid when I do it because of stories like this. And the flu shot? I am against it. We have never had it, as I felt it is overkill to have everyone vaccinated when the flu is not a life threatening disease for most. This is one of the reasons my youngest will never go to preschool. We moved to NJ 2 years ago and you can't send a child under 5 to preschool here unless he has had a flu shot. From what I have read, it was legislation passed to beef up the pharmacy industry (very big around here), and although there was a lot of parental backlash, the next year the H1N1 crisis hit and the opposition faded. So, no preschool for us (not that it is such a big loss, but I did send the older children for a couple of hours a week just for a change of scenery for them).

Posted by: Danielle M. | November 2, 2011 8:12 PM