June 27, 2012 6:28 PM
Aladdin in Middleburg 6/29-30 - come see!Because Maddy and I are leaving for California tomorrow morning, we saw the dress rehearsal for A Place to Be's production of Aladdin - in which Jonny plays Abu.
You definitely want to see this if you can - for so many reasons! (see below)
The cast is a mixture of kids with varied levels of ability, who together are a beautiful example of what happens when love and respect are the foundation of a theater production - where the emphasis is on helping bring out the best in each other, rather than individual performance.
These kids have worked so hard. With just a two-week camp, today was day 8 and the first dress rehearsal, and yet everyone was off-book and very few cues were missed.
Considering that what we saw was just a glimmer of this weekend's performances, you will not be disappointed. Take your family and enjoy!
- to Tom Sweitzer, who is always able to see beyond what others see as disability to release the potential in every child, and who worked hard to further his education, raise funds, and create a place where children could be free
- to Angelle Cook and Kim Tapper, who maintained perfect order in a group of 50 kids - clearly based on love and respect - theirs for the kids and the kids for them
- to Ben Schoenberger - whose sets never cease to amaze me and enchant the audience
- to Nancy Hutchenson - amazing costume mistress, who did it all in 8 days
- to the musicians, including a harp - beautiful work
- to the kids who've worked so hard to bring this show to life
- to the community, which really "gets" what's so special about Special Arts in Loudoun