November 19, 2012 12:49 PM

A First without Mama Bear....

A first without Mama Bear.jpg
As all of you know Barbara was always devoted to seeing our children perform....she had never missed any of Maddy's performances.  So yesterday was another first of so many firsts where Mama Bear would not be there. Maddy was playing in the opera, "The Merry Widow."  We were there in force to support her and were joined by her "adopted grandparents," Jack and Jean Burden who have been so supportive.

Merry Widow.jpg

Big Sis & Lil Sis.jpg                                                         Big Sis & Lil Sis

Sophia and Josh are up from Florida for the week and will help me to get everything together for Thanksgiving. This will be our first Thanksgiving in a number of years where we will all be together and our first without Mama Bear. With Jazz and her family coming we will be  31. I know Barbara will be smiling from heaven with all of her children and grandchildren together wearing green (her choice for this year's family pics.)
I always do the turkey and will be soaking it in the kosher salt brine overnight before cooking it on Thanksgiving.  It has always been our favorite family holiday and as Barbara shared with you in the past(see all her Thanksgiving archives) we have many rich traditions that we have implemented over the years.  It will no doubt be a very emotional day for us longing for her to still be with us.....Thank you all for your continuing prayers and support.. Truly we are blessed by the Body of Christ....
In His grip,
Papa Tripp

Comments

Papa Tripp:

So glad to hear Jasmine and family will be with you as she has been on my heart these last few weeks. Yes, Barbara would be pleased, absolutely delighted....so cool to see Barbara's (yours, and many others') prayers answered regarding dear Jasmine.

I pray that this Thanksgiving will be a very special time for you all, despite the great feeling of loss that will accompany your gathering together. I pray for God's comfort to sustain you all, through all of these "firsts" that you have to go through, without your beloved Barbara. I feel your pain and I am just so sorry for you. The peace of Christ be upon you.

With love, Debbie K.

Posted by: Debbie Kierstead | November 19, 2012 4:44 PM

+JMJ+
Love from your friends in Texas! Happy Thanksgiving! We will remember Barb dearly at our Thanksgiving table! This will be our 2nd year having our "Five Kernels of Corn" tradition and Hattie's Corn Bread Pudding:)
God Bless you all!
Thanksgiving to our Lord and His Amazing Mother!

Posted by: Eileen | November 19, 2012 4:54 PM

I hope all of you have a very blessed Thanksgiving! Still praying for God's comfort for your family.

Posted by: Debbie | November 19, 2012 5:30 PM

Our prayer for your family is that you will be able to be thankful for all the goodness, grace and mercy that comes from our loving Father, as you remember your sweet wife, mother and grandmother this Thanksgiving season. We pray that you will feel the comfort and strength of the peace that passes understanding. I hope you will feel the power of the prayers that so many are offering up for you all. God bless each and every one of you today and in the days to come.

Posted by: Nana | November 20, 2012 7:02 AM

We still continue the tradition of lighting candles at the dinner table. I remember Barbara posting about that and how special it always made dinner feel. I look around my house and see the differences Barbara made. The music I introduced to the kids. The idea of putting up pictures with people on them (instead of just things) for the younger kids. (Which reminds me...I have to actually put them on the wall soon. smile).

Even the neti pot she used to talk about. Or putting Vicks on a child's feet as a cure for a cough. Buying a dvd (and a book) of Les Miz because she started a book club about it. I read Animal Farm because she so highly recommended it and it opened my eyes.

I'm sure that I will be thinking of more things today that she opened my eyes to. Hey! Two Catholic schools now benefit from having an Amazon portal on their website because she told me that it was a win/win situation.

I love Barbara and I still offer all my masses up for her. (you know, she's on my list. smile).

I'm also praying for you, Tripp, and your family. We consider you a sort of extended family so I'm really glad that you're continuing Barbara's blog. And I love how you end it: In his grip. (Yep.)

Here's wishing you a Blessed Thanksgiving.

Much love,
Sue from Buffalo

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | November 20, 2012 9:28 AM

Sue-
I just put Vicks on my hubby's feet last night. Barb is so with us!! Loved your post.

Thanks for continuing the blog, Tripp!! It has been like one of only two that I have followed in the last six years.

I, like Sue, hope you turn to us in prayer as Barb did when she needed it.
God Bless you!

Posted by: Eileen | November 20, 2012 10:54 AM

Praying y'all have a blessed Thanksgiving! On Barbara's advice, I did the 11 Day Detox, bought my daughter a "Rody," and bought my toddlers a "kid-sized" table and chairs :^) I also plan on getting them a kids' nativity set. I love reading the *specific* ways in which she has helped us mommylifers on the journey of motherhood.

Posted by: Kerri | November 21, 2012 2:45 PM

Thank you so much for the update and the photos. Your internet family is always interested in the lives of the Curtis clan. I teared up a bit at the happy news of the reconciliation. Keeping you all in my heart and in my prayers.

Posted by: Anne | November 21, 2012 3:44 PM

Hi, Tripp,

Thanks for posting. I prayed for you and the Downzers specifically this morning that God would minister to y'all practically and personally.

In the seven years I've been blogging I've considered Barbara my primary blogging/writing mentor. Hers was the fist blog I found when searching for something about moms. I loved her tagline.

I wrote her for advice about becoming a writer. She kindly responded and is one reason I've spoke at a Christian writers conference the past 5 years. I always use her as an example for writers and bloggers.

Your family will continue to be in my prayers as you come to mind. (For example, when I was at the movies recently and saw the preview for the new Les Miserables movie. Barbara also inspired me to read that book, by the way.)

May your family experience the peace that passes understanding this holiday season.

Thank you, again, for posting.

In Christ,
Lexie

Posted by: Lexie | November 21, 2012 5:27 PM

Mama Bear, Your very own smile I, still see. You and I met before you and my brother, Papa Bear, met OOh yeah,so long ago. LRC goodness and grace

Posted by: Leslie R Cota | November 21, 2012 8:24 PM

Checking in to get the Curtis Family Casserole recipe, a must for holiday mornings here. Thank you! We love you, Mr. Curtis, and will pray in a special way for your beautiful family during Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Tiffany | November 22, 2012 2:35 AM

I'm so happy to see all of you together and can't wait to see the family photo. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Posted by: Alison | November 22, 2012 7:44 PM

Curtis Family,
It is so good to see you spending time together. I am praying for you...

***I just want to put out a friendly reminder to the readers out there****

Please remember to use this site's Amazon link when purchasing your Christmas gifts. It will help support this site and this wonderful family.

blessings,
Lisa

Posted by: Lisa | November 23, 2012 3:44 PM

I was thinking about all of you through Thanksgiving. I know it must have been so hard, but I hope you drew strength and consolation from each other, and from the prayers of all those who loved and admired Barbara and her amazing family. May God's grace and peace be with you always.

Posted by: Denise | November 24, 2012 1:44 PM

Tripp,

Glad to hear that Maddy was back at school. Is her tuition handled, or is that still a family need?? I know how important that was to Barbara, and I think many of us are willing to step up to the plate again if needed.....

Posted by: Pattie, RN | November 28, 2012 7:40 AM