November 1, 2012 6:36 PM

Barbara Curtis.....For He is Our Peace...

CurtisB-150.jpg

Barbara Curtis, beloved by husband, children, family, and friends worldwide died suddenly this week of a hemorrhagic stroke.  In death as in life, hers was orchestrated by Our Heavenly Father. Unbeknownst to us all her spirit was preparing for this time over the last month. She reached out and touched so many of those she loved while conducting her ongoing battles against injustice, falsehood, and evil while continuing her life's mission of upholding the value life, motherhood, and parenting.  She even made sure that our refrigerators, freezers, and pantry were well stocked with food.

Barbara had gone up to Rochester, NY to see one of our sons, Ben performing in an opera at Eastman. Her plan was to go to church with Ben and Anna, (his wife) the next morning and then head back home. She changed her mind that night and decided to leave early in the morn. If she had followed her plan, she would have had the stroke while driving on the freeway and died alone. She arrived home around 4pm as I was preparing to leave on a mission regarding the coming hurricane and busily getting the house secure during the storm for her and the 3 youngest boys at home.  She was in a great mood, started a load of laundry, even had time to cut my hair, our last intimate moment. I was supposed to leave at 5pm and noticed I was way behind. After looking at my watch and seeing it was 5:37 I went to kiss her and the boys goodbye. She was sitting on our loveseat in the living room with a dazed expression on her face. I asked her what was wrong and she uttered a discombobulated incomprehensible sentence.  This is a woman who had never uttered an inarticulate statement in her life. I suspected stroke and ran the test. She failed. After calling a good friend who is a ER Doc, I dialed 911. At the hospital the first ct scan showed a 5 cent. blood clot on her brain over her language center. Our oldest daughter and son with their spouses were there. She was still not making sense, but had a sense of humor about it...even kind of laughing herself a little. The docs and nurses told us that she seemed to be improving and after giving some medicine to assist blood clotting were going to do another ct scan at 1am Monday morning.

Shortly thereafter at 11:30 I noticed she was trying to vomit. I went to help her and her eyes suddenly went blank and her body went limp. Keeping her from aspirating, I called the nurse and they immediately intubated her and sent her for another ct scan.  She never gained consciousness again. The ct scan showed the blood clot was now 13 cent. and growing.

The doctors said that doing surgery would not remedy anything and probably they would damage her brain even more. The damage was severe. Even if she survived, she would be immobile. She would never be able to speak or understand again. She would require around the clock care for the rest of her days as a vegetable. I realized then that if I had left on time, Barbara would have died at home with our 3 youngest who would not comprehend, and our son Matt would have come the next morning to find his mother dead with 3 distressed special needs boys. God's orchestration. God had made it possible for her husband and children to be with her when she went to be with her Lord and Savior.

Barbara and I had talked about this many times over the years. We both agreed that when our times came we did not want to thwart God's will. The medical community pride's itself on being able to take a life in the mother's womb while keeping life that is over alive.  Seems a little like playing God.

The miracles surrounding this time will be treasured by her family.  Needless to say, God arranged for all her children to be there at her passing. Though she was comatose, all  had a chance to speak with her privately and corporately as a family. The hospital allowed us all to be with her before and after she was removed from life support. We prayed and sang her favorite hymns as she was removed from life support. Though it took only 15 minutes it seemed like eternity as her soul passed. As she came to rest, I realized that in all the years I had known her, I had never seen her so at peace.

She was the most incredible person I have ever known. Brilliant communicator, constant seeker of truth, champion of the weak, fierce opponent of injustice, lover of art, music, literature and culture, believer in constant examination of self & motivation, consumed with passion for life and family, and an undying zeal to pursue God's will.  She was a force to be reckoned with.  It is only fitting that she should depart in the eye of the hurricane. Her only regret is probably that she didn't absentee vote. But God knows she can be more effective in these times from her vantage point now that she is with that "great cloud of witnesses" above.

She has left behind a loving family and a veritable host of warriors that she has helped and encouraged throughout the years to carry on the fight.  We will do our best from this end. Many of you have asked of ways to help.  We set up an account today to help with our family's mission and the four Down Syndrome children left behind without their Mama Bear.

Barbara Curtis Mommylife Memorial Fund

PO Box 682 Lovettsville, VA 20180-0682

Barbara's Memorial Mass will be held 1230, Saturday, Nov. 3rd, 2012, at St Francis De Sales Catholic Church in Purcellville, VA.

While we were courting years ago, we enjoyed reading poetry together. One of our favorites was Elizabeth Barrett Browning, in particular this verse....."God's gifts put Man's best dreams to shame."  Certainly she was a gift to us all.  She made me a better man than I ever would have been.  In obedience we constantly bit off more than we could chew and then had to chew it.  Through it all, Our Father always provided.

May the Lord bless you and keep you all.  Cherish your times together for you never  know when it may end.

Pax vobiscum....

Tripp

Comments

Thank you so much for sharing this, Tripp. She loved you all so much. (I cried again reading this.) I also thought there was something appropriate about her leaving during a hurricane. God has a sense of humor (just like you, with the vote comment). :-)
You will be in my prayers.

Posted by: Julana | November 1, 2012 7:19 PM

I am so sorry I have been missing her even though I only new her through this blog.I was kind of hoping she voted funny you said that.I am praying for all of you and i am hoping I can be such a light in the lives of those around me as Barbara has been to me.

Posted by: melita | November 1, 2012 7:20 PM

Curtis Family,

I was Maddy's 5th grade teacher at Waterford. Barbara was an amazing and supportive mother who clearly loved her family dearly. I am so saddened to hear of her passing. I am unable to attend Saturday's service but wanted to let you all know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kristin (Rhoads) Kuntz

Posted by: Kristin Kuntz | November 1, 2012 7:32 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. Barbara was one person I really had hoped to meet one day. She, through her blog, mentored and befriended so many of us Moms. She was such an inspiration and an encouragement to me. I wish I could hug each one of you, and come to pay my respects. That will not be possible, but your family will be in my prayers in the coming days and months.

Posted by: Debbie | November 1, 2012 7:41 PM

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Barbara encouraged me many times through her blog.

Posted by: Lisa Smith | November 1, 2012 7:46 PM

Barbara, I so look forward to meeting you one day face to face. Thank you for helping me to be a better Mom. My husband and I had the same conversation about the Great Cloud of Witnesses the night I discovered you had moved to heaven. I will be forever grateful for you, Barbara. We daily pray for your family. Love, linda

Posted by: Linda | November 1, 2012 8:06 PM

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. You didn't have to, but rather honored the connection so many of us had with her. God Bless your family as you simultaneously grieve and rejoice Barbara's passing. +JMJ+

Posted by: Kelly | November 1, 2012 8:25 PM

I was shocked when I clicked on the blog site today. Barabara's blog is the first blog on my bookmark! She has provided me much wisdom for homeschooling as well as keeping me up on the day to day fight for our freedom. Thank you for taking the time to share your story. We will be praying for you and the family. May God wrap his arms around each one of you and fill you with His peace.

Posted by: Stephanie Klock | November 1, 2012 8:29 PM

Tripp, you did such an amazing job writing this. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. I never met Barbara, but we communicated by email and she was such a mentor and virtual friend to me. I never met her in person, but kept thinking I would someday. It will be in heaven now : ) She was such an inspriation and support, especially for those of us with DS children and large families. I loved her so much and already feel I void. I can't even imagine what you and your precious children are feeling right now. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Love and hugs to you, Becca J

Posted by: becca jacobsen | November 1, 2012 8:40 PM

And peace be with you also Tripp (and her beloved children),
Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Barb shared her life with all of us, so we felt we knew her even if we never met here on earth. So it was sweet of you to give us this peace of her final moments and God's hand in it all. I will continue to pray for your sweet family. Much love, Shelley

Posted by: Shelley | November 1, 2012 9:08 PM

I have never so mourned the loss of someone whom I have never met. Your sweet Barbara was such an encouragement to me to be comfortable with being different, whether as an advocate for my children's education or to speak against the status quo religiously, socially or politically. Thank you so much for sharing her final hours with us. We felt like we knew her because of her transparency in this forum and your transparency with her death provides a measure of closure in our loss of her. How very thoughtful of you to consider us during this time. Blessings, Curtis Family. Blessings.

Posted by: Merkel Momma | November 1, 2012 9:17 PM

I'm so glad you were there at the crucial moment. I'm so glad all her children were able to be there and say good-bye. It's amazing how our Heavenly Father knows exactly what we need and orchestrates everything according to His plan.

I too was wondering whether she had voted yet. I know she would have loved to see the end result of all her efforts in that regard these past few years. But she'll have a much better view and perspective from where she is now.

I can see her now, writing furiously about all the wonderful things she has now seen and heard and understood, and the wonderful Savior who welcomed her home. What I would give to read her blog post about that now! :)

I look forward to giving her a big hug when we meet again. She will be sorely missed.

Posted by: Rachel | November 1, 2012 9:20 PM

Tripp, thank you so much for sharing this with her readers. What a blessing! God is so merciful to have arranged everything like He did. He is great and greatly to be praised!

You are such a wonderful husband and father. We learned that through Barbara's posts on her blog. And seeing your occasional posts gave us a glimpse of the great guy Barbara was married to.

I pray God's grace be poured out on you and the kids in the coming months as you adjust to living without the Mama Bear. I'm sure it'll be tough because she left such a gaping hole where her dynamic personality used to be. I bet she's praying for you all right now.

I wish I could be at the funeral. I will be there in spirit as will her other far away readers, I'm sure.

Blessings.

Posted by: Kim | November 1, 2012 9:24 PM

Dear Tripp--

Thank you for taking the time to share with this online community your last moments with your precious wife. I know our hearts have been heavy for you and your beautiful family and we will be upholding you before our Father's throne. We feel such a tremendous sense of loss, but cannot possibly imagine what you are going through as a family.

I am a mother of 7 girls and I have gone to Barbara's website every day (that I have had access to a computer)for at least 4 years (I've lost track.) I have so appreciated Barbara's insight and passion for motherhood, her family, you, and most importantly, God. I am quite a distance from you (I live in Eastern Canada) but I pray that the Body of Christ will be mobilized to help you with, I am sure, many practical needs that you will have, now, with your dear wife being gone.

I don't know if this is selfish, and please forgive me if this seems insensitive, but I hope God will make a way for you to keep this website going. I think so many of us feel so close to your family even though we have not met you in person and we would cherish anything you might share with us about how you are doing as a family and your needs. No pressure. However, I must be so bold to say that you and your family are loved by many, many people.

I am sorry I have rambled on, I certainly have been in shock with this news, but I also just want to say that I believe that time is short and I don't think it will be too long before we will be reunited with those that have passed on to be with Jesus.

Thank you giving your wife the time to bless so many people. She was an amazing woman, wife, mother, friend, encourager, soldier, child of God. You and your precious family will be in my prayers, with a few extra going up for the "Downzers" and dear Jasmine (Samantha, Maddy, Sophia and all the boys,too!)

In Christ...
Debbie Kierstead

Posted by: Debbie Kierstead | November 1, 2012 9:41 PM

Thank you Tripp for this beautiful tribute to a remarkable woman. Thanks also for helping to provide some closure to Barbara's internet family. What amazing graces were given by our Merciful Father! Keeping you and the children in my heart and prayers.

Posted by: Anne | November 1, 2012 9:49 PM

Thank you so much Tripp, for writing and then sharing this with us. Barbara meant so much to so many that I can't help but think of the passage of "You shall know them by their works." (Matt 7:16). She was such a light in these dark times. I pray I will be able to make it to her funeral this weekend.

Posted by: Dirtdartwife | November 1, 2012 9:51 PM

Thank you for sharing her final moments with us and allowing us to support your family. Barbara was a spiritual mother to so many of us. May I suggest that those who were inspired by Barbara and plan to Christmas shop through Amazon, link through the blog as another easy way to support Barbara's mission? Our prayers continue for your beautiful family!

Posted by: Nora | November 1, 2012 10:02 PM

Tripp, Thank you for sharing from you heart. I will continue to uphold you and the rest of the family in my prayers. May God be your comfort, you guide and your stay during this time.

[15] Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of his saints.
(Psalm 116:15 ESV)

Posted by: Susan | November 1, 2012 10:03 PM

Tripp,

Barbara was one of my mommy heroes. Because of her writing I have the courage to teach my little ones at home, and have had the courage I've needed in our journey of special-needs adoption. Thank you for sharing your wife with us these years. She will be remembered and she will be missed.

Blessings!

Hannah

Posted by: Hannah | November 1, 2012 10:04 PM

My prayers are with you and the family. I found Barbara's blog about 3 years ago, when I followed the links at the end of article that she had written about marriage that was on a mainstream news website. Mommylife.net became very important to me as about the same time, my life went through a lot of upheavals, losing a loved one, moving countries, changing careers, etc. More than anything, the devotional posts would pull me through on a tough day. I would look forward to hearing a hymn she'd posted, or "prayers in the laundry room", a way to link up to the divine in the midst of mommy life. Since finding Barbara, I have also been drawn to Montessori education, and this year I started my training to become a Montessori guide. I hope to make her proud. Sending lots of love to her family-- thank you for sharing her with us.

Posted by: Angela | November 1, 2012 10:26 PM

Thank you for sharing this story, Mr. Curtis. It was a gift that you didn't have to give those of us who loved Barbara through her writing, but I am so grateful that you did. I am so very sorry for your terrible loss.

Posted by: Elissa | November 1, 2012 10:46 PM

Dear Tripp and family...
I am so sad to hear that Barbara has passed away. She was an important presence in my early mothering years, 8 years ago, via her blog. And more recently as a strong voice of conviction, in politics and other areas.
God bless you; thank you so much for the beautiful letter you wrote here.
Alice

Posted by: Alice | November 1, 2012 11:15 PM

Tripp,

Thank you.

Becky

Posted by: Becky | November 1, 2012 11:29 PM

Trip:

This was a beautiful and moving tribute. Truly, Barbara was a champion of the weak.

She was there for me during one of the hardest times of my life. She was my voice when I was silenced. And she was willing to fly to be with me during the criminal trial against my former husband when I was victim of domestic violence. Her supportive efforts are recorded here on this website. It is one of the many examples of how she so passionately helped others. I will never forget her kindness and her willingness to have my voice heard. My two regrets are that I did not take her up on her offer to be with me during the proceedings. I was too humiliated. And second, I never followed her advice to come to D.C. to meet her and take a conference with her. I was too beat down to believe that I could really be the writer she saw in me. I trusted Barbara so much that I sent her some of my writings to be my voice if something happened to me while I took a stand against my abuser. She has in her possession the record of my most private sufferings. She wrote me a few weeks ago I didn't have a chance to tell her that I was preparing to remain silent no more and write again.

May God comfort you as you grieve. Your loving wife truly did make a difference in my life. I will never forget her.

Christina (formerly the KSMilkmaid)

Posted by: Christina | November 1, 2012 11:30 PM

Dear Tripp,

Thank you for sharing with us. Barbara was an amazing woman and I feel very blessed to have been the recipient of her encouragement and inspiration. Thank you for sharing her with us! Please know that you and your wonderful family remain in my prayers.

Lord bless you,

DianeK

Posted by: Diane | November 1, 2012 11:45 PM

I met Barbara in 2008 as a group of us Loudoun Catholic conservative women met for lunch for the first time. We all hit it off and felt liberated to be able to talk openly about our religion and politics with other like-minded women. I looked forward to seeing Barbara whenever she could join us for our regular meet-ups in Leesburg or Purcellville. I was always inspired by her wisdom and I am a better person and a better Catholic for having known her. When she toured St. John's new church at the end of September, I was glad to be there with her and I enjoyed watching her prep for a future writing project as she took many pictures and notes.

I am awed and inspired by your incredible Faith that allowed you to share such a loving narrative of Barbara's last days. Reading your post was a great comfort to me and to many of Barbara's friends and fans, I'm sure. Thank you and God bless you, Tripp. You & your family are in my prayers and the prayers of many at St. John the Apostle parish.

Posted by: Amy Fagerli | November 1, 2012 11:54 PM

Oh, I just can't bear the thought of Barbara going...yet I'm so thankful for the legacy she leaves...and it brings a smile to my face to see her at her Savior's feet.

Rarely has my heart stood still, but when I clicked on Barbara's blog earlier, it did. No, this can't be. My first selfish thoughts of who will I turn to for all that great parenting/political advice (great idea to combine the two blogs, Barbara) quickly turned to thoughts of her dear family who I have come to know and love online. There are no words to express my sadness for your loss. Thank God for his Holy Spirit who intercedes for us when we are unable to utter the words. May he continue to intercede for you in the days ahead.

Posted by: Lynette | November 2, 2012 12:09 AM

Tripp:

This is my 3rd comment in 3 days....just have to say that Barbara had such a big heart and an ability to make others aware of the pressing needs of individuals. Because of her highlighting various web links to other writers and "soldiers", my little world got enlarged and I was connected with other members of the Body of Christ. I bring this up because I emailed Barbara over this last year wondering what happened to Christina, the Kansas Milkmaid, as her website was no longer up and running and I was concerned about her. Since Christina just commented, could I take this opportunity to ask her to email me (Debbie K.) at drkbiz@rogers.com?

[(Again, please forgive me if this seems inappropriate but I did not want you to have any other detail on your mind, with regards to being a go-between, to pass on email addresses and such. Figured she may read this comment.) Just want to encourage you Christina.]

Again, Tripp, thank you so much for taking the time to share with us the last page of the final chapter of Barbara's story here on earth. Your family has been such a blessing to me.

Debbie K.

Posted by: Debbie Kierstead | November 2, 2012 12:25 AM

Barbara's words touched my heart and her devotion at mass always inspired me. She will be missed.

Posted by: Megan | November 2, 2012 12:27 AM

Dear Curtis Family,

I had just read The Mommy Manual days before I heard of Barbara's passing from this life to her eternal life. Her love for family and the desire to help others was eveident. But as she put it (page 208) it was all because of Jesus. "...the moment when Tripp and Barbara finally heard The Truth and made a decision to give their hears to God and then let God turn their hearts toward home." She preceeds that comment with the story of how she (& Tripp) came to the moment of being saved...their weekend get-a-way to a marriage conference and how everything changed for them. EVERYTHING. As a result of that weekend; she has left a legacy to each of you that I have no doubt you are now passing on to her grandchildren (the 5-generation rule, pg 206) Today, she is in the presence of her HEAVENLY FATHER, Her SAVIOR. May the fact that so many (countless!) lives have been touched, challenged and changed because of her life, encourage each of you today.May the wonderful, beautiful, funny memories you have as a family be at the forefront of your thoughts during this time! You are blessed! Barbara is YOUR MOM!... and how many people can say that?

Posted by: Monica | November 2, 2012 12:36 AM

Tripp,

I had the privilege of attending a blogging conference, at which your precious wife taught a segment. What a great treat to know her!! I read her blog often, but was most touched by her Mother's Day tribute to Moms of DS children. In honor of her passing, I went through the slide show again & as before was moved to tears by the beauty and tender remarks for, "Our Little Extras" I know Barbara leaves a HUGE VOID for your loved ones & her thousands upon thousands of fans!! Thank you for sharing the bittersweet reflection of her final hours. A tremendous admirer!

Posted by: Leslie Hanks | November 2, 2012 1:20 AM

Dear Trip, thank you so much for sharing your wife's final precious moments with us. I am moved with tears and I never met Barbara but feel such a close connection from reading her blog for many years.
How fitting it is for her to pass away in the month of October, month of the rosary and Pro-life month kick off.
Mother Mary most sorrowful, Mother of Christians, pray for us!

Posted by: mm | November 2, 2012 1:57 AM

I cried again tonight after reading this. Thank you for sharing the details. I had longed to know what exactly had happened and whether she'd made it to hear Ben sing . . . I'm relieved to hear how God orchestrated all the details. Thank you, Tripp, for taking the time to share this. My heart is with you and your family. (Wish I could be at the service--will it be videotaped?--but I'm in San Diego.)

Posted by: Melodee | November 2, 2012 4:25 AM

Beauty in the world seeing His work through your eyes, Tripp. Mark and I are both filled with sorrow and active in prayer for you and Barbara.

Posted by: Lisa Glasgow | November 2, 2012 6:33 AM

Dear Tripp & Family,
I only knew Barbara through her blog and yet I have never grieved over the passing of someone I didn't personally know as I have over Barbara's.
You and your family have been upon my heart and mind and in my prayers much over the past week. She truly was a remarkable woman.
Thank you for writing this tribute and sharing with us the evidences of our Lord's intimate care for you all before, during and after her passing. I am so grateful all her children had time with her and to say their goodbyes. I am so grateful she is at peace.
May our great Lord Jesus carry you through the days ahead.
Lily

Posted by: Lily | November 2, 2012 7:11 AM

Dear Tripp & Family,
May our great Lord Jesus carry you through the days ahead.
Lily

Posted by: Lily | November 2, 2012 7:12 AM

In our family when folk speak with such clarity, we say "Good Words." Thank you for this piece -- it is beautiful and Barbara would be touched not only by your thoughts but by what a strong writer, you are!

Posted by: Ann | November 2, 2012 7:26 AM

You have brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this with us, her "other daughters", who loved her from afar.

Posted by: Mary Kalpos | November 2, 2012 8:14 AM

Barbara was an amazing woman, and such a wonderful influence. Many blessings to your family!

Posted by: Liesl Garner | November 2, 2012 9:06 AM

My heart-felt sympathies to the Curtis Family. May He give you strength and courage as you move forward without your beloved wife and mother.

Posted by: Michele Jones | November 2, 2012 9:55 AM

Thank you Tripp for allowing those of us who love Barbar a look at her last moments. I am at peace knowing she had a happy death, surrounded by her loved ones. God is good. I will ask for her intercession as I continue to advocate for our precious children with Down syndrome, I am proud to be one of the host of people she inspired here on the blog, and in person. Here is my tribute to Barbara. http://causa-nostrae-laetitiae.blogspot.com/2012/11/barbara-curtis-requiescat-in-pace.html

Posted by: Leticia Velasquez | November 2, 2012 10:27 AM

I feel as though I've lost a friend. Barbara was a huge source of inspiration to me as a mother. She was raw, real, honest and unapologetic about her faith.
Her legacy will live forever in the lives she touched, and the family she selflessly served.

Posted by: Sandy | November 2, 2012 11:25 AM

How heartbreaking and yet such a blessing the way she passed. I truly believe everything happens for a reason and the way you laid it out shows that so beautiful. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. And you've also inspired me to have that conversation with my husband.

Posted by: Fadra | November 2, 2012 12:13 PM

"God's gifts put Man's best dreams to shame." WOW!

Tripp, what an amazing tribute...I may not have known Barbara IRL but through her blog and emails we exchanged I felt like she was an old friend. Your description of her is what I knew in my heart. On this day, All Souls , I have asked all of my frieds to please join me in prayer for this beautiful soul, Barbara Curtis.

Posted by: Erika Drain | November 2, 2012 12:18 PM

"God's gifts put Man's best dreams to shame." WOW!

Posted by: Erika Drain | November 2, 2012 12:18 PM

Thanks you.

Posted by: Barbara Moody | November 2, 2012 12:44 PM

Tripp family...today's reading is from the book of Wisdom and is for you: The souls of the just are in the hand of God,
and no torment shall touch them.
They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead;
and their passing away was thought an affliction
and their going forth from us, utter destruction.
But they are in peace.
For if before men, indeed, they be punished,
yet is their hope full of immortality;
chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed,
because God tried them
and found them worthy of himself.
As gold in the furnace, he proved them,
and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.
In the time of their visitation they shall shine,
and shall dart about as sparks through stubble;
they shall judge nations and rule over peoples,
and the LORD shall be their King forever.
Those who trust in him shall understand truth,
and the faithful shall abide with him in love:
because grace and mercy are with his holy ones,
and his care is with his elect.

Posted by: Barbara | November 2, 2012 1:03 PM

Dear Curtis Family,

Thank you for taking the time to share the last days of Barbara's earthly life with those of us who were enouraged by her wisdom, insight, humour, courage and inspiration.

She was a mighty woman, eager to encourage and reach others through her compassion and commitment to truth and love and beauty.

She has most inspired me as a mother. She has always encouraged 'seizing the day' at home with children, and for this I am so thankful.

May God bless your family in this time and bring you a peace that passes understanding.

Posted by: goodbean | November 2, 2012 2:05 PM

Tripp,

My name is Denise, and I am Tom Sweitzer's cousin from PA. My daughter Liz was a mentor for the two week summer camp at A Place to Be this past summer. We adore Johnny and have enjoyed meeting many members of your family. I just learned today through Tommy that Barbara passed. I wish I would have had the opportunity to get to know Barbara, but I'm glad to know about her blog, so I will make a commitment to read past blogs so I can soak up all the knowledge, love, and passion that she shared with others. What an inspiration to so many! You know what she accommplished on Earth. Can you imagine the great works she will be able to do from Heaven?

I started a rosary group 3 years ago called Tuesdays With Mary. Your family will be at the top of our list of intentions for many months to come. God bless all of you.

Denise Gilliland

Posted by: Denise Gilliland | November 2, 2012 2:08 PM

Even in amidst your family's grief, you take care to reveal God's plan in all aspects. Praise be to the God who loves us so much that he takes care of our needs, big and small. God be with you and bring you all peace, particularly anyone who may need reconciliation.

Barbara, please pray for us!

Posted by: Denise | November 2, 2012 2:20 PM

I feel like I knew Barbara through her many years of writings. She even took time to be a personal cheerleader to me at times with my own writing. Tripp, this has to be one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. I am so sorry to hear of her passing, but if anyone knew the Lord, it was Barbara. I pray for all of you in the difficult days to come. Prayers for peace...

Posted by: Lindsey Cox | November 2, 2012 2:38 PM

Dear Tripp, and beautiful children,
I had only just begun to read some of the blog posts that Barbara had written. I especially loved the one where she wrote about Jonny, and his beautiful, helpful spirit, even as he disappeared trying to help Barbara at Costco. As the mother of eight, who raised my children for over a decade in Marin County, imagine my surprise in finding out that such Catholic brilliance was shining in our liberal outpost without my knowing! Thank you for your hopeful, bite-off-too-much approach that allows us all to see how God never fails.
May God Bless all of you so, so much in this time of missing her so much...and yes, I'm asking God to pleeeeease let her throw some weight around up there over this election too.

Posted by: anna lisa | November 2, 2012 2:38 PM

I do not know your family and am reading this post through another's link -- I want to thank you -- my marriage has great problems and I am going to pray to your wife for her intercession on my behalf so that I can be obedient to the will of God and in turn be the wife and mother Barbara was -- this will take a miracle -- and I believe that your wife can handle it. Thank you.

Posted by: Patty | November 2, 2012 3:47 PM

My heart is breaking though I know Heaven is rejoicing! I'm so sad, but I can't imagine the pain you all must feel—what a hole you will have in your hearts. What a beautiful and true to life tribute you wrote about your beloved Barb.

I met Barb at my very first writers conference in New Mexico in 1998. We were eating dinner at the same table and chatting away. I started to choke on my food, so I took off to the bathroom so that I wouldn't throw up on anyone . . . as I got there and turned around, there was Barb, "Are you alright? I followed you because if someone is choking you should never leave them alone."

I was alright and that began a friendship. I attended several of her writing workshops at Mout Hermon. She was a mentor to me and an example of a get-it-done kind of woman. It was Barb's encouragement, which allowed me to have confidence in pursuing a writing career!

I will miss her and her witty comments on FaceBook.

God, as I know He is, give you and your family peace, strength, and comfort. I thank our Father God for allowing me the privilege of knowing her! God Bless!

Posted by: Diane Ramirez | November 2, 2012 4:27 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this. Though I never met her in real life, she and your family have been in the front of my mind all week. Prayers for you all continue here.

Posted by: Jen L. | November 2, 2012 5:27 PM

Thank you for posting this and letting us know. It is no mistake that God had placed her and your family on my heart all last weekend. I am so thankful to her for reaching out to all of us new moms. She was a mentor to me long distance when I lacked one and a constant source of encouragement and instruction. May God bless you all and comfort you in your time of grief.

Posted by: Beccy | November 2, 2012 5:56 PM

Thank you so much Tripp. I too feel close to you and your children, because Barbara drew me and so many others in. My heart has been so heavy and felt so anxious for Barbara these past few days, not knowing how her life had ended. How wonderful to know you were all with her as she departed this life for Eternal Life. She went with her boots on, striding into eternity like Joan of Arc, her chosen patron saint.

Posted by: Judy | November 2, 2012 6:44 PM

Dear Tripp and lovely family,
I cannot tell you how heavy my heart has been these last few days. Barbara was such a beautiful role model for all of us mothers and my friend said, "we're going to have to pick up the pieces and follow in her shoes." Such big shoes...

She was a universal mother to us all as our Holy Father John Paul II was a universal father.

I cannot wait to read her book that she completed this summer/fall. Many of us homeschoolers with now college age children cannot wait to hear what she had to say on this subject, courtship included.

God bless you all. You are in our constand prayers,
Jan

Posted by: Jan | November 2, 2012 7:08 PM

Posted by: Beccy | November 2, 2012 7:08 PM

I have silently enjoyed reading Barbara's blog for a couple of years now and am very sorry at her passing. However, I know that she is with God, Who she served with every fiber of her being. I pray for your family and for those who read her words. May God hold you all in His hands and give you his peace.

Stephanie

Posted by: Stephanie | November 2, 2012 8:43 PM

I just wanted to add one more thing, Barbara's last personal updates were about her traveling to a journalism conference and then to Ben's opera in New York. When we heard of her illness and passing, my mom and I were very worried about if she made it home. Thank you so much for letting us know that she was with you. You and your family are in our prayers.

Posted by: Elissa | November 2, 2012 10:17 PM

Tripp,
Thank you for taking the time during your grieving to tell us the precious last hours of your wife's life. it felt like I was listening to Barb:) It meant alot to me. Your wife meant more to me than I realized. You all were a part of my life for a long time.

I did not realize it would hit me this hard. All I can think of is all the beautiful pictures of your family through the years. I am praying for Barb's soul everyday at a cemetery from Nov 1-8. As I stared around today at this beautiful cemetery, praying the rosary, I realized how much more Barb will be doing for many now. And I smiled.

My husband actually said today, "Barb....your friend." And, even though we never met she was my friend and every time I will hear the Beatles song My Life I will miss her:)

God Bless you and all your children at this time. I will continue to pray for your all at Mass.
+JMJ+

Posted by: Eileen | November 2, 2012 11:02 PM

This was a really touching story and I cried a whole lot while reading it.I think that it was wonderful that all her family were there to be with her at the end of her time on earth and what a great thought of her in the hands of almighty god . I am sure you will miss her but the memories and god's love will sustain you through the dark times ahead. I will remember you all in my prayers and at mass in St Aloysius' in Glasgow UK on the 3rd Nov. Please pray for me and my wife and nine children that I will be able to have them around me when god requires my presence . God bless you all. Requiescant in pace.

Posted by: james hughes | November 2, 2012 11:12 PM

God Bless you all! I am so very sorry.
Maybe Barbara can stack the ballot box for us to make up for her terrible timing ;-)

Posted by: Teresa | November 3, 2012 12:44 AM

Barbara is truly an inspiring woman. I have spent the past two days reading "Lord Meet Me in the Laundry Room", wishing I would have read her words sooner- so that I could tell her how amazing she is. I truly admire her honesty

I was Justin's fourth grade teacher. I always enjoyed my interactions with Mrs.Curtis- from the serious to the little jokes she would send me. Her big heart was always open and I am pretty sure her and Justin share the same light up the room smile.

Sending many prayers for strength, courage and peace in the days ahead- and a big hug for Justin.

Posted by: Tracie | November 3, 2012 10:07 AM

When I first heard of Barbara's death--I was stunned. I enjoyed reading her blog and knowing her through it.I love her picture she had such a kind face. My husband died of a massive stroke at age 50--and God saw that we had a priest and the family gathered to say good-bye. Barbara's passing sounded very similar. I have prayed for the repose of his soul since 1995, and upon hearing of Mrs. Curtis' death I have prayed for the repose of her soul since word came. May God grant her peace and watch over her family.

Posted by: Patt | November 3, 2012 10:14 AM

I'm up a little early in Alaska in order to pray along with you all during dear Barbara's funeral mass. What a triumphant soul you are, Tripp --- I'm inspired by the love and hopefulness you share with us. The intimacy that we all seemed to enjoy from her writing has really been extended by your description here. Thank you! God bless the Curtis family.

Posted by: Tiffany | November 3, 2012 10:37 AM

Tank you for sharing.
Barbara was a bigger part of my life than I realized. I start to look at this blog a couple of times a day still, looking for something new before I remember. But then I think about her at other times, and pray for you and your children, some by name.

Posted by: Sandra | November 3, 2012 11:53 AM

Thank you, Tripp, for sharing your beautiful tribute with us. I am praising God for His faithfulness, and for orchestrating the events as He did... so thankful she was with her family. I have been praying for you and your family as you grieve, remember, and navigate through the days. God bless you all.

Posted by: Jenn | November 3, 2012 1:27 PM

Tripp and family, you are an amazing family, a true example for us all. Our prayers are with you all.

Posted by: Patrick | November 3, 2012 1:47 PM

Dear Tripp,

What a wonderful tribute to your precious wife!
Thank you very much for taking the time to update us and for sharing your final days of your life journey with Barbara.

I was shocked and deeply upset to read of her passing! She was a true 'Warrior Woman'!

Today I attended morning Mass in Dublin, Ireland and lit a candle for Barbara and you all.
I have been reading Mummy Life since my son arrived with an extra chromesome 8 years ago.
She gave me much food for thought over the last 8 years.....Thank you Barbara for that!

As we say here in Ireland.....Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam" Which means "May her soul be at God's right hand".
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time, Love Linda McBride, Dublin, Ireland

Posted by: Linda McBride | November 3, 2012 2:09 PM

That sounds just like Barbara - doing her wife/mom thing right up until the end!! She died as she lived and she has inspired so many by her life and death- myself included! I am saying prayers for your whole family this month, and especially for Jasmine - I hope she knows that no matter what, her mother always loved her. And she knows that she was loved in return too. God Bless all of you!

Posted by: Elena | November 3, 2012 2:33 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this. I only just found out about Barbara's passing and was in tears almost the entire time I read this post. I am amazed at God's intervention in her last hours. I knew Barbara though buying her books and following her on Facebook. She will be missed. Praying for you.

Posted by: Karen | November 3, 2012 5:47 PM

I knew Barbara through the writing world and through working with her at the Mount Hermon conference. We shared a cabin one or two of those years. I noticed that even when we were back to the cabin after a full day, Barbara was busy checking on her family, reviewing the news headlines of the day, and keeping her blog going. Her life is an inspiration to me and to many.

Thank you, Tripp, for your very dear words. It is so clear that yours is a family full of love. My prayers are with you all during this time of loss. May God be with you powerfully and with his peace.

Jan

Posted by: Jan Kern | November 3, 2012 6:03 PM

Tripp, this is beautiful. Thank you.

I am greatful that you shared the chronology of events (orchestration) that led up to her passing on--it has helped give me some closure.

And in all honesty, as soon as I learned that she was gone, I wondered if she had absentee voted :-) I loved her passion, about everything.

There is so much more that I wanted to ask her (mentoring) and share with her (friendship). She was an incredible woman and I miss her terribly.

You and all of the family will continue to be in all our prayers.

von, for all of our family

Posted by: von | November 3, 2012 6:46 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your heart, Tripp.

I agree with the others: it is such a kind and generous gift to us who never personally met Barbara but feel as if she is our best friend! Your words about Barbara's final hours brought peace to my heart though I continue to grieve for our loss. As we pray for the repose of Barbara's soul, we pray also for each member of your family and will offer Masses for both intentions.

May our Blessed Mother wrap her mantle around your family, and may Christ's peace be with each of you as God comforts you at this time.

Posted by: KarenH | November 3, 2012 6:57 PM

Tripp

As so many have already said - I cannot thank you enough for being so generous in sharing with us how he Lord took Barbara home. I was so distraught wondering how you were all doing ,especially the youngest boys. I continue to read your beautiful words to my family and friends. How you honored and loved each other. So beautiful.

Barbara truly felt like a mother to me in many ways. I first met her at your house in Marin i was going to marin covenant when i was home from college. Tripp i always loved watching you walk into church and go to the front row with a few of your children where you would worship The Lord with arms stretched out - praising Him with such beautiful freedom. I was deeply encouraged by that. My family did not grow up worshiping God. then years later she walked alongside me when I had our third son who was born with Down syndrome. She was so generous with her time and her wonderful encouragement and the resources she shared. I read her blog daily looking for help to mother my children in a way that would please The Lord. Such wisdom and hope she freely and joyfully offered.

When I was 42 I found out I was pregnant with our fourth child and I was so scared that he or she would also be born with a disability even more severe than Garrett's. I ran to Barbara. She immediately prayed for me and exhorted me to take courage and trust that all children are gifts from The Lord. She even posted my story on her blog so that other moms could encourage and pray for me. Such sweetness to me.

A few years ago I had the privilege of picking her up from the airport and giving her a ride to mt hermon for a writers workshop. I have and will always treasure that hour we had together. What an honor to sit with this woman who had been so instrumental in my life. There she was needing a coffee and we couldn't find a coffee shop where we were and it was funny. Finally we spotted a McDonald's and she was oh so happy to get that coffee. She talked about you and your children and her love for all of you. She was so humble and approachable and genuine. So grateful for that car ride.

Tripp I am in prayer day and night for you all. Really can't begin to imagine the grief and the missing and longing for her. I am always wondering how yiu are doing how the youn boys sre doig. All of you. May the Holy Spirit be close and hover over each of you as you grieve and ache. May He grant you His peace and deep comfort and give you great hope and strength for the days ahead.

Barbara was a mentor to me. She mothered and led so many of us. The way her passing has affected me is profound and we ,her readers do love and pray for your family. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being family that has taught us so much through sharing your own life and struggles and joys and faith.

Much peace and Love to you all.

Jenny Fitzgerald San Jose.

Posted by: Jenny Fitzgerald | November 3, 2012 8:16 PM

Tripp, thank you so much for posting your beautiful tribute to your wife and sharing her last days with those of us who knew and loved her through her blog. I can't imagine how you were able to do that except by the grace of God. As many others have said, I also was encouraged by Barbara for the last several years. I've been reading the blog since before your return to the Catholic Church, and have gained much wisdom from her. I'll be praying for God's strength, comfort, wisdom and peace for your entire family.

And CHRISTINA (formerly KS Milkmaid), in case you are reading these comments, I also want to encourage you to write again. I looked forward to your posts and have missed them.

Posted by: Debbie | November 3, 2012 8:30 PM

Dear Tripp and Family,

I am so very sorry for the earthly loss of Barbara. I, too, am mourning the loss of a person I never met here, but oh so look forward to meeting in Heaven! Barbara has been such an encouragement to me and thus to my family! We were encouraged to follow our dream of having a large family! I appreciated her stand for her faith, even though we differed in which Christian church to attend, I loved how she threw her whole being into serving God! May you feel God's presence with you during your time of grief. Thank you for sharing those last moments with us.
Love and prayers,
Sara

Posted by: Sara | November 3, 2012 8:53 PM

Thank you Curtis family for sharing your wife, mom, friend with us.. Words can not express what a blessing Barbara was for so many people...
Personally, I lost my mom in 2008 and shortly after stumbled across this blog ... Truely a gift from above to hear such wisdom & humble truth coming from a woman with a most generous heart- completely trustworthy & real... That kind of person is rare.. After losing my mom- I did not expect to find such trustworthy advice and motherly care ... I assure you I truely needed it!!.. Thank you for sharing her with me!!.. I pray that you find glimmers of her very very soon & that you find comfort & peace...
ps- please do let us know if purchasing through Barbara's Amazon link is something that might be helpful for the family.. I always did that & will continue to do so...
How I miss her!!.. hugs to all of you!!

Posted by: Melanie | November 3, 2012 9:48 PM

Beautiful interview with Barbara.

Posted by: Beccy | November 3, 2012 10:57 PM

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman. Pray for us, Barbara, and pray for our country. You leave behind a more signficant legacy than most of us can even dream of. Thank you.

Posted by: janen7 | November 3, 2012 11:16 PM

Dear Tripp & children,
I want to extend my sympathy to you. My family & I have been offering masses, prayers, chaplets & rosaries for the repose of Barbara's soul & for all of you. Reading this blog has been such a gift to me. Barbara has given so much of herself for the good of others. I have most of her books & will be buying extra copies to give as gifts. Her legacy will live on!

Thank you for sharing Barbara & your family with us all. Many families have been blessed by your example.

May the good Lord grant you strength & peace!

Posted by: Kris Z. | November 4, 2012 12:48 AM

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Barbara. She was a voice of reason in a chaotic world!!

Posted by: Susan Jenkins | November 4, 2012 1:03 AM

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear of Barbara's passing. I was a regular reader of her blog, and such a fan of the righteous woman she was. I am so saddened. My prayers are with you all.
Amy Culley

Posted by: amy culley | November 4, 2012 1:06 AM

For at least the next few months I will continue to keep Barbara's blog up. I will leave this post up for the next week to make sure any who need to know what happened can learn how she died. Her Amazon link will continue on the site as well. May the Lord continue to bless you all.

Tripp

Posted by: Tripp Curtis | November 4, 2012 9:15 AM

I feel so saddened. Barbara was and will continue to be an encouragement to me. We are the same age and I have 8 children. We are both Christians and we just connected. I have purposed in my heart to cherish each day even more. God is faithful. I cannot express how sorry I am for your loss.

Posted by: Lynne Oliver | November 4, 2012 10:13 AM

I just stumbled on this blog today. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I think Barbara and I could have been good "friends". We have 10 children and also have a heart for kids with DS. Thank you for leaving the site up for those of us that just "met" her.

Posted by: Heather | November 4, 2012 10:39 AM

Barbara, may you bloom forever in the Master's bouquet.
God bless each one of you in the Curtis family. I know that she is with Our Lord, praying before His throne.

Posted by: Zooey | November 4, 2012 12:51 PM

Oh please do leave the blog up. There are too many things written about here that have changed me. It's been like a favorite book that kept continuing. Barbara's writing has affected my life in big ways-- many of the books I have read in the past several years were those that Barbara recommended. She shared great music, movies, ideas... and her wisdom and advice was exactly what I needed to hear. I hope to reread a lot of the mothering advice, and several other topics from the amazing list of catagories she wrote about. Maybe this blog could be put into a book??
I am praying for your family today as you grieve and remember.

Posted by: stacie | November 4, 2012 7:54 PM

Thank you for sharing the story of Barbara's passing. I always appreciated her positive approach to every aspect of life that she shared with her readers. May God grant your family overwhelming peace in the days ahead.

Posted by: Sallie @ A Quiet Simple Life | November 4, 2012 10:30 PM

Tripp and family,

My heart is so heavy for you all, but at the same time I am so thankful to read of the ways that the Lord worked so beautifully in the time leading up to Barbara's death, and that you are able to recognize His hand in your lives. I have had the same kind of experience in the last several weeks, and our family has seen His mighty works in a time of great loss.

I lost my husband in September after finding out in July that he had cancer. Barbara and I had an email conversation in October after I felt lead to ask her for prayer for myself and my family. Her comforting and kind words helped me greatly. If you have access to her email you might like to read her response to me. I believe you would find it comforting to read her reply to me, as she comforted me when I was in the place in which you find yourself now.

I continue to pray for your family as you walk through the days ahead. Take comfort in the fact that God is good, and that He is always good.

God bless you all.

Posted by: Nana | November 4, 2012 10:59 PM

Thank you for sharing what happened. I'm praying for you and your family. Reading Barbara's blog challenged me and stretched me. I'm so sorry for your pain and grief, but grateful for the ways you all have seen God work and move in your family's life over the years, and that you willingly shared it with others. Even now.

Posted by: JoanP | November 5, 2012 7:34 PM

Tripp, I saw your comment about leaving this post up and leaving the blog up for a few months.

Might you consider leaving the blog site up indefinitely? Those of us who came here on a regular basis (and honestly, I'm still coming here every day--I miss her so....) might be able to come back and search through old articles and still glean from her wisdom.

I know you have many decisions to make, and I don't want to add one more thing for you, but I (selfishly?) ask that as you think of this and that you give it prayful consideration.

Again, thank you for sharing her passing with us. She was such an intimate person with her reading audience--I think she would be pleased.

blessings,
von

Posted by: von | November 5, 2012 9:17 PM

I am truly sorry for your loss. Barbara and I didn't agree on anything and she had actually stopped publishing my comments. Nevertheless, I kept reading her blog because she was direct and out spoken about what she believed in. She obviously loved her family and because of it, I always had a lot of respect for her. And last but not least, she definitely helped me understand down syndrome better. I will always be grateful for that. I hope she rests in peace.

Posted by: Anar | November 5, 2012 10:16 PM

Words can't express how sorry I am to hear of Barbara's passing. I intersected with her at several points related to birth and family ministry over the years, and I was always enlightened and refreshed as a result.

On the spiritual plane, of course I rejoice that she is now face to face with her beloved Jesus, but that doesn't negate the sadness on the human level. I can't even imagine the depth of that loss for her family. My prayers are with you all.

Posted by: Kathy Nesper | November 6, 2012 1:46 AM

Barbara,tomarrow is election day.Boy,have I been missing you this past week.Everyday I come to see your smiling face and I think of all the things you would be posting about right now.I wonder are you helping us out from above are you smiling down knowing how wonderful our futur will be when we join you and how silly we must all look now spinning our wheels most of the time.I wish you where here but am glad you are at peace.I hope to meet you someday.THANK YOU for being a guide to me on this earth.
I will be praying and forever wondering how your wonderful family is doing.

Posted by: melita | November 6, 2012 1:59 AM

Oh, mama. I deeply miss your fiery words and vintage Americana posters, on days like this. Pray for us.

Posted by: Tiffany | November 6, 2012 10:04 AM

I've already commented, but wanted to come back and say I teared up as a stood in line to vote this morning, thinking of Barbara. I remember emailing her a picture of myself and my twin girls at the polls 4 years ago. My girls are now 7 years old, and I had my husband snap a picture of us today, thinking how Barbara encouraged us mommies to take our children with us when we voted.

We also sang Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing in church this past Sunday, and my tears flowed freely, thinking of dear Barbara and her family.

I continue to pray for you, Curtis Family.

Posted by: Jenn | November 6, 2012 3:30 PM

Momma C!!!!!!!

I just found out, and I am so sad to hear this news.....my dear momma C. I have no words right now.....except to say to your family that I will be praying for them.

Oh Momma.....how much will I miss you!!!!

Posted by: LadyLovas | November 6, 2012 11:20 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Robin | November 6, 2012 11:41 PM

Dear Trip:

I am so sad to hear these news.

The void I feel is immense, but I am sure is minuscle compared to yours and your family's.

I have no words big enough to express my condolences.

My prayers are with you and your family.

She was loved by many like me, who looked to her for a light in this road we call motherhood.

She is loved still.

Nilda Lovas

Posted by: LadyLovas | November 6, 2012 11:42 PM

I still can't believe she is gone, but God knows all things. I am praying that the Lord strengthen and comfort you as you go on without her. He will be your strength.

I keep thinking of Barbara as I go about my day. I just told my husband that if Obama wins this election, Barbara is so much happier not to be here and see this. She is so much better off. We are the ones at a loss.

Praying for you. Thank you for sharing your last moments with her.

Posted by: tereza | November 7, 2012 12:10 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss but at the same time, so grateful that God decided to take her when he did, so she did not have to suffer in the earthly realm all of this corruption, evil, cheating and fraud surrounding the installment of tyranny. Good by, America. It's been nice knowing you.

Posted by: RealAmerican | November 7, 2012 12:35 AM

I am another person mourning the loss of a wonderful woman I only knew through her books, blog, and a few email exchanges. For a few years I had bookmarked her page to pop up first thing and I enjoyed reading the vast information she so generously shared. I am still in the midst of raising little ones, and so much of what she has written and shared is with me each day. A truly inspiring woman who will be missed by many, I am sure. Thank you, Tripp, for sharing the story of her passing. God is so good to orchestrate the events of our lives. I am just very sad, and send prayers to each member of your family as you grieve and adjust to life without her.

Posted by: Crystal | November 7, 2012 1:13 AM

She loved you very much Nilda.....God bless you.
Tripp

Posted by: Barbara | November 7, 2012 8:38 AM

Tripp,

I am so sorry to hear of Barbara's passing. We had spoken via email several times, mostly concerning my son. It was with her encouragement and special type of love that I gathered the strength to have my little boy tested for Autism, and he was officially diagnosed with high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder on October 31st.

Barbara's wit and confidence was inspirational, and she will be greatly missed.

Please know my heart and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time.

May God grant her eternal rest in His heavenly kingdom.

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Anna

Posted by: Anna Sparkman | November 7, 2012 10:44 AM

Good afternoon Mr. Curtis (or Tripp if you do so prefer)

I learned of Barbara's passing last night. My frist thought was that I hope she didn't pass alone or with the boys and them being frightened. I am so so so glad you did not leave on your mission. God's timing is so perfect. So perfect. I am thinking about all of you and am saddened but also joyful bc I know she rests in the Lord's arms and is free from pain.
I just wanted to let you know how much she has touched my life. I hope the blog will stay up as I like to go back and reference some of the opinions, recipes, pictures and posts on child rearing.
I am praying for you, for all the children and grandbabies.
PS: Can you please give us an update on how you and the family are doing from time to time? I consider us a big family and we include you Tripp!!!

Shannon in Texas

Posted by: Shannon Best | November 7, 2012 12:17 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I will be praying for your family. It is inspiring to hear how God took care of all of the details, and her death sounds like such a peaceful and quick one, we could only all be so blessed with that grace. God bless you and your family.

Posted by: Kristi | November 7, 2012 2:44 PM

Momma C was the real deal. She was the only one on earth who knew all my garbage, and somehow saw fit to love me anyway. She taught me, for the first time, what it meant to pull off the mask and how to do it. How many times I would read her transparency with mouth hanging open thinking, "I didn't know you were allowed to do that!" and wanting desperately to follow along. I have never known such grace, aside from Christ Himself. She loved me in a sacrificial way, giving of herself so many times. I love you, Momma, and I always, always will.
I love Mommylife too. It helped me in every realm of my life. I announced both my pregnancies here before anyone else even knew. I became a Mama, with all that that blessed word means, here.
Papa Tripp, Samantha, Jasmine, Josh, Matt, Zach, Ben, Sophia, Jonny, Maddy, Jesse, Daniel & Justin, God be with you. May he make His face to shine upon you and give you peace. Thank you for sharing her with us, with me.

Posted by: Greta | November 7, 2012 4:06 PM

I will always be thankful for the part Barbara played in preparing our family for the birth of our second grandson, Jackson, who has Down Syndrome. Her blog was used by God to prepare my family and I for our precious Jack's arrival. My prayers are with you all.

Psalm 116:15 "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."

Posted by: Pat | November 7, 2012 4:49 PM

Thank you for considering the blog readers family enough to share.

My mom stumbled onto "Lord, Meet me in the Laundry Room" several years ago and bought a copy for each of her girls. I have since purchased several of Barbara's other published works and began reading her blog regularly. I've been encouraged, challenged, educated and inspired. I feel as if a bright light has gone out. She will be sorely missed, but I am encouraged that she left such a rich written legacy... here (online) and in her books. I am praying for you and your family in the great loss you have suffered, that God will sustain you and give you great peace.

Blessings to you all.

Posted by: Phyllis | November 7, 2012 8:23 PM

Tripp: I was shocked to learn of Barbara's passing - or more correctly, promotion! We have fond memories of being with you and Barbara in Marin County, and I have thought of you two from time to time. We are praying for you.

Posted by: Jim Rehkopf | November 7, 2012 9:04 PM

I've been a long-time reader of Barbara's blog and saddened to hear of her passing. My condolences to the family.

Posted by: Bev | November 7, 2012 11:46 PM

I have only recently "discovered" Barbara's amazing books, but I felt like she spoke directly to my heart as a mother. Her work made me feel confident that I could successfully teach my children in our home. Thank you for your work and your wisdom, Barbara. Praying for peace and comfort for your family.

Posted by: Kelley | November 8, 2012 9:53 AM

I recall seeing the American Idol episode and being so impressed with Barbara and family

Peace

Posted by: Chad | November 8, 2012 11:23 PM

Tripp,
Thank you for sharing Barbara and the rest of your family with all of us. Words cannot express what a gift that has been. May God grant unto Barbara eternal rest. May He grant unto you and your children a peace that passes understanding. With love to all to all of you~
Renee Poudrier

Posted by: Renee | November 10, 2012 12:13 AM

I started ready Barbara’s blog several years ago after seeing Abby on American Idol. I found the website to be a great source of wisdom and inspiration. We have 8 kids under 15 and live on the west coast of Canada. I was so shocked to come to the website today and hear of Barbara’s passing. We have never met, but I feel that I know all about your family through Barbara’s writing. My wife and I are truly saddened to hear of this news. You and your family are in our prayers. May God, in all his goodness, bring you peace through this time.
Shaun Clark

Posted by: Shaun Clark | December 3, 2012 6:03 PM

I am so sorry for your family's loss.

I am so grateful for the two wonderful books Barbara wrote, Mommy Teach Me, and Mommy Teach Me to Read, and her life and witness. She mentored and inspired me thru her books, which encouraged me to love my children and that I would be able to teach them at home, even the youngest ones. I always enjoyed reading what Barbara wrote on her blogs. She was full of wisdom. I looked forward to meeting her in person someday, now I hope to see her when I go to be with the Lord too.

My prayers go out to your family, especially the younger ones. Thank you for keeping the blog up and running.

Posted by: Anne Marie | December 14, 2012 9:47 PM