November 25, 2012 1:02 PM

Barbara's shrine

Barbara's Shrine 1.JPG
We have received hundreds and hundreds of cards, letters, memorial masses, facebook messages, flowers, plants, blog comments, and emails from so many people who were touched by her life. The outpouring of loving kindness, prayers, and gifts has surpassed all of our understanding. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to all of you.
The picture above is the shrine that Jonny set up in our kitchen. I put out the punch bowl to hold all the cards. Below is a closer view of St. Joan of Arc, (Barbara's patron saint.) This stature was always at her right hand on her desk next to a beautiful painting of Mother Teresa. I put Barbara's necklace that had all of her children on it that she wore every day and her favorite rosary around St. Joan's neck and our wedding rings on the hilt of her sword. Below that picture is the note she left for us before her last trip.
Barbara's Shrine 2.JPG
Barbara's Shrine 3.JPG
Today is a tough day.  Sophia and Josh left yesterday to head back to Florida, Ben and Anna for NY, and I take Maddy back to CUA this afternoon. So many farewells......so many tears...
Into your hands, O Lord, we humbly entrust our sister Barbara...In this life you embraced her with your tender love; deliver her from every evil and bid her enter eternal rest. The old order has passed away; welcome her then into paradise, where there will be no sorrow, no weeping or pain, but the fullness of peace and joy with your Son and the Holy Spirit for ever and  ever. Amen.....
In His grip,
Papa Tripp

Comments

Oh my. I have wanted to write you after every post but never take the time. . . My apologies. I am heading up to put a little one to sleep and wanted you to know that I will say a chaplet for your peace today. We are praying for all of you everyday.

The mass we attended this a.m. was said by an amazing visiting priest from Ireland. Two little pearls that resonated with many in our family is the fact that there are two ways to live: Living as if our kingdom is not of this world and we could be given heaven and earth. If we live as if our kingdom is the earth, we are given neither heaven or earth. Not very eloquently stated by me but surely you get the concept. Ive been reminded myself and the family all morning that "our kingdom is not of the earth".

I am so happy that you were all together for Thanksgiving. What a gift for all of you. I know how sad Barbara was about the lack of family unity. In fact, when I first heard about her stroke and that she was unlikely to recover, I prayed (as did many Im sure) that there was an opportunity for reuniting and peace in your family.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us! hang in there!

Posted by: Leslie in VA | November 25, 2012 3:23 PM

I will offer up Holy Mass for you today Tripp and that our Blessed Mother hold you as she did her Son.

Posted by: Eileen | November 25, 2012 3:28 PM

Tripp and Family,

Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving and Barbara's shrine with us. I understand that the four youngest might be able to grasp this loss with a physical location for Barbara's memory. I sorely miss that I never met her, and I appreciate seeing the items that meant so much to her. It is comforting to me as well- all the way across the United States.

You are doing a wonderful job Tripp, this I am sure. I imagine each hour is still hard at this point. I just realized that Barbara has been gone just under a month.

Thank you again for your kindness in sharing your family with us out here in the blogosphere.

Posted by: Imajackson | November 25, 2012 9:55 PM

What a beautiful shrine! What a wonderful job Jonny did. Barbara would have loved it.

I'm sorry, Tripp, that it's such a rough day for you and your family. Please feel the cyber "hug" coming from all of us out here. Our prayers are still going up for all of you. It's going to take a long time but eventually, I think, it will get better. I am praying for the warm embrace of God as you travel through this coming year. We love you.

Sue from Buffalo

Posted by: Sue from Buffalo | November 25, 2012 10:05 PM

Beautiful shrine. Lovely tribute. I recognize the St. Barbara candle -- I gave it to her at one of our Loudoun lunches. That's who she was to me -- St. Barbara. Such an inspiration in the Faith and a great mentor. I continue to pray for you, your family and my friend Barbara in heaven.

Posted by: Amy Fagerli | November 26, 2012 10:07 AM

We all miss Barbara so much and thank you for sharing with us as we grieve with you. Papa Tripp maybe you should continue what she started.

Posted by: Susie Allen | November 26, 2012 11:11 AM

Thank you Susie...I plan to continue the blog in my limited fashion. There is such a tremendous treasure trove of knowledge here on such a variety of subjects. I feel that these archives are part of her legacy.
Papa Tripp

Posted by: Barbara | November 26, 2012 11:30 AM

It is a tribute to Barbara that you are able to go on as well as you have. God bless to all of you.

Posted by: Cath Young | November 26, 2012 2:46 PM

I thought of your dear family over the long weekend. I know it was just one of many "firsts" you will encounter in the next year. We continue to pray God's peace and blessings over you all.

Posted by: Chrissy | November 27, 2012 7:30 AM

Thank you for sharing this. Johnny, you did well--a nice place to remember and honor your mother. Tripp, I like what you did with St. Joan.

I pray for you daily, often. Continue to put one foot in front of the next and do the next thing. I'm sure that you make the Lord proud as you carry on.

Posted by: von | November 27, 2012 4:57 PM

I am so saddened to hear of your loss. Barbara blessed me with one of her books this last year from a blog contest...her testimony and encouragement ministered to me right where I was at. Please know your family will continue to be in our prayers.

Posted by: Roberta | November 27, 2012 9:58 PM

Papa Tripp

I am so deeply sorry that part of this life the Father gives us holds such inexpressible grief. I cry for you often and your family. I pray the Lords mercy and grace and deep comfort over you every day. May you each sense the close presence of the Holy Spirit hovering and loving you.

Barbara told us years ago about Sleep Sound in Jesus. We have bought at least four copies for our own family because Garrett, Our son with downs, plays with them and scratches them. But it is still our bedtime music and as I am tucking my children in and hearing those beautiful prayers sung by Michael Card I am praying for your children and praying for you.

I know we all wish we could ease this pain for you.

Much grace and sweet peace be upon you all.

Jenny.

Posted by: Jenny Fitzgerald | November 29, 2012 12:24 AM

Jenny...we use those same cds to this day....been through at least 6 by now. Have you ever listened to Michael Card's "Ancient Faith"? If not, you are in for a blessing!

Posted by: Barbara | November 29, 2012 12:38 AM