November 24, 2012 1:49 PM

Our Thanksgiving....2012

Thanksgiving 2012 Family.JPG
Our favorite family holiday has always been Thanksgiving.  Many of you know that it was definitely Barbara's favorite and this was our first without her.  This was also the first time in many years that the whole family was together.
Sophia and Maddy stepped right into their Mommy's shoes and helped me with everything. Everyone else brought various parts of the meal. The house rang with shouts and screams of joy and laughter as cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, brothers, and sisters enjoyed each others company.  I could feel Barbara's joy.....
One of our traditions during Thanksgiving meal is to share with each other the things we are grateful for. Each person is given five kernels of corn, (symbolic of what the Pilgrims were rationed to during their second winter in the New World when so many of them died of starvation.) In the past, we'd go around the table five times sharing which we streamlined this year to once per person putting all their kernels into the Thanksgiving cup and sharing their five thoughts of gratitude,(given that we were 31 now would have meant 155 spoken thoughts!)  I was not looking forward to this as I was already an emotional basket case.  I was missing Barbara desperately...However, as I was about to start Jonny got up to make a toast to his Mommy. I think the reality really hit him that Mommy wasn't ever coming back.  He wept as he spoke about how, " Mommy and Daddy no more ring," (his depiction of our marriage) and how much he missed her. It was an emotional hurricane that we were all feeling. I then started the sharing and each of the family took their turns and as you can imagine, we went through a couple of boxes of tissue.
After supper, we cleaned up with Maddy doing the Herculean task of washing everything. Josh, Sophia, and Joshua led us in singing our Thanksgiving hymns and then we prayed together before tackling the pies and rum cake.
All in all it was a bittersweet day as so many of our days are with Barbara gone to her Savior. But I know she was smiling down as all her children and grandchildren gathered this year to give thanks.
I will be posting more pictures in the days ahead. Thank you all for your kindnesses, thoughts, and prayers.  Truly we have much thankful for.
In His grip,
Papa Tripp

Comments

I've been anxiously anticipating this :-)

I'm glad that it was a good day. I thought of and prayed for your family all day.

Tripp, I'm thankful for your steadfastness, as you carry on, leading your family, and thankful that you are willing to maintain Barbara's wisdom here on the site.

You'll remain in my thoughts and prayers as you continue to find your new "normal".

Posted by: von | November 24, 2012 5:01 PM

Beautiful family picture! The green that Barbara chose says "life" and "hope" to me.

Posted by: Kate J | November 24, 2012 5:34 PM

Yes, Barbara loved Thanksgiving, and often gave a nice window into it for her friends across the internet. It's great you all were able to get together and continue the tradition, though it was hard. That big family is partly her gift to you all, a great legacy.
Thank you for sharing. I always enjoyed her pictures of the day.

Posted by: Julana | November 24, 2012 7:53 PM

Papa Tripp,

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with us, again. You are so generous of heart! Continuing to pray for you all, as you wade through these waters of sorrow. Your beautiful family is a testament to your faithfulness to God and the love you shared with your beloved Barbara. Thank you, again.

In Him,

Debbie K.

Posted by: Debbie Kierstead | November 24, 2012 9:57 PM

You are a kind man, Tripp. Giving so much of yourself to Barbara's friends in your time of grief and sorrow...thank you. Sending prayers your way!

Posted by: wendyann64 | November 25, 2012 8:40 AM

I was looking forward to all your faces. Thanks for posting Tripp! It was beautiful to see you all together and smiling. We read our Five Kernals of corn and did not realized when I cut, pasted, and printed it off last year I left the "Love, Barbabra" on it:)

Posted by: Eileen | November 25, 2012 3:21 PM

Tripp,
Thank you so much for being so willing to share so much of you all with us.

As my own family sat down (at my mom's house)and we prayed and told what we were thankful for, my heart was fully praying for you all, and tears for your family too. Please know that there are a " a great cloud of witnesses," (Hebrews 12:1) praying and grieving for you. Somehow in some tiny way, I hope that can encourage you. ((hug))

Love, Becky

Posted by: Becky | November 25, 2012 3:35 PM

Thank you so much for continuing to give us updates. I miss Barbara so much.

Posted by: Sandra | November 25, 2012 6:14 PM

DEar Tripp, My heart is ACHING FOR YOU. Your soul mate, and partner is at home with Jesus, but that space she filled is empty. We prayed for you and especially on Thanksgiving. You are a special man given a special job. I know that Jesus will give you the strength that you need to "CARRY ON". We will continue to pray for you. What GREAT TIME, we will all have when we all get home with Jesus aand FEAST AT HIS GREAT TABLE. God Bless you and your dear family. Always thinking of you and praying for you, Much love,SHALOM...Rebecca Wold

Posted by: Rebecca Wold | November 26, 2012 2:17 AM

Thank you for continuing to share about your family. My heart hurts for you and all the kids, grandkids, etc. I'm glad that you were all able to be together for Thanksgiving - and that you took the yearly family photo. I know Barbara was indeed smiling.

Posted by: Deborah | November 26, 2012 5:21 PM