January 31, 2013 8:58 PM

Day 93 and tracking my new life running solo....

last one on the bus.jpg
                                         Last one on the bus this morning.

I remember seeing a picture when I was a young boy of 8-9 from the exhibition, "Family of Man."  It depicted a mother alone in dire straits with her children clutching her.  The caption said, "She is a tree of life to them."  My own Mother became a single Mom when I was 13, and I gained a greater understanding of the pathos in that picture that had impacted me as a boy.  Seems ironic now that when I met and married Barbara she was a single Mom with Samantha and Jazz, (see below) in the nest of her tree. Now she's gone and I'm a single Dad with four crippled birds still in my nest, and a whole flock of others in flight....some reaching for the sky, and others building their own nests , and all looking back to the tree where they learned to fly.

Barbara, sam, and jazz.jpgMy perspective is so different now. My day starts and ends in the laundry room....where I pray, cry, and sometimes laugh. I thank God for the responsibilities that keep me moving forward and the understanding that this is what we both committed to in our covenant with God and each other. Every day brings new trials and concerns, but I've found that I'm seeing things and making decisions with her insight and wisdom in mind. And so I shall be that tree that is planted by the rivers of water where they each learned how to fly and know that not only their father's heart is there, but also through God's grace... their mother's.
In His grip,
Papa Tripp,

Thanksgiving 2012 cooking.JPG

Comments

I can't think of a better person and father to continue living as a true model of God. You inspire me.

Posted by: Sean | February 1, 2013 11:40 PM

Tripp, I know that what you and Barbara have started so well, God will enable you to finish well. I pray He strengthens you each day for meeting the needs of your boys, and inspires you with insight for each of them.
Blessings,
Tenney

Posted by: Tenney Singer | February 2, 2013 1:06 AM

Dear Papa Tripp:

You have done it again....shared some life-giving words despite your truly walking through the valley of the shadow of death (I have always thought of that portion of Ps. 23 relating to someone approaching their own death...but I think of you walking through this valley and finding the comfort of your Shepherd, being anointed with the oil of His Spirit and finding that goodness and mercy are following you all the days of your life...) Thank you for being so real, so genuine, so open. You are blessing us, who have the opportunity to read your words and you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

What a poignant picture...you in the kitchen and as you have described in the laundry room. Changes, new roles, but planted like that tree; your roots run deep--it is so evident and you are blessing so many (I would dare to say you have a much larger family than you realize!) It is wonderful also, that tucked away in your heart, are so many treasures from your beloved Barbara and you are able to draw on those treasures for the decisions that lie before you.

I have gone on, perhaps a little too long, but I just want to express my thankfulness for your willingness to share your journey of grief on this site. I do not take anything you say lightly; your words carry a lot of weight.

God Bless you Papa Tripp.

Debbie Kierstead

Posted by: Debbie Kierstead | February 2, 2013 2:25 AM

Tripp, thank you for continuing to share your journey with your "extended family" and for being so transparent. Praying for the strength of God to empower you each day.

Posted by: Debbie | February 2, 2013 7:48 AM

Hey, there is a really good book called "Dear Lord, meet me in the laundry room" :-D .... I love that book.

I love your words and I am grateful for your willingness to share your new life with us. Indeed, she was a life giving tree, and we all come back to this place looking for her life giving words. Thank you for continuing her legacy.

We love you!

Posted by: LadyLovas | February 2, 2013 10:23 AM

I think of you often, and am praying for you. God bless you and your family!

Posted by: Betty | February 2, 2013 9:04 PM

When I count my blessings, as your little chalk board say, I count you and your wonderful family. The sunshine looks like God's grace streaming in upon you as I know it is.

Posted by: Judy | February 2, 2013 11:08 PM

Tripp, thank you for continuing to share your wisdom and life with us. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I still come here every day--looking for and missing Barbara, and now looking for you.

I am especially appreciative when you share pictures and stories of you and Barbara from your earlier years.

I miss her so! I know you do, too.

it is quite confirming of God's presence in your daily life to see the photo of you smiling, while working in the kitchen. Life goes on and God is ever present!

Blessings & prayers........

Posted by: von | February 2, 2013 11:55 PM

Thank you for letting me in on your journey,Tripp.
I miss Barb, but still hear her in your words. Your blogging is very comforting to me.

Posted by: Eileen | February 3, 2013 4:11 PM

Trip you are AMAZING my prayers are with you as always.

Posted by: melita | February 3, 2013 11:44 PM

That is beautiful.

Posted by: Sue | February 5, 2013 10:47 AM

Barbara was so blessed to have you in her life for so many years. YOu are truly a special man.

I still can't believe she is gone. :(

Posted by: tereza crump aka mytreasuredcreations | February 13, 2013 11:28 PM